Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Upgrade from Tiger (10.4.11) to some iCloud O/S

Hi All,

After re-reading my topic, I realize that it may be mis-leading. Here is my dilemma. I have an iMac (2006; coreduo, not core2duo), running Tiger 10.4.11. I'm a video editor and use Final Cut Express and Final Cut Pro Suite (still learning all of this one). I recently purchase thenew iPad for my wife as I always have the iMac tied up and she felt left out. My problem is with the Cloud and having her "things" (mail, songs etc.) not pushing up from the iMac. Tiger was before any Cloud applications were available. I want to upgrade to an O/S that will allow her to enjoy everything the iPad can do. As you can tell, I've never upgraded my O/S from anything (if it ain't broke, don't fix it) and I really want to be sure that I won't cause a conflict with my editing programs.

What do I do from here? Which O/S should I upgrade to? 10.5, 10.6 something else? Can I go jump 10.5 and go directly to 10.6 if this is the best O/S for me to consider, or do I have to go step-by-step? Will 10.5 allow me to give her Cloud access, or do I have to go to 10.6?

As you can tell, I'm trying to do the right thing for my wife, but I'm petrified in crashing the O/S and being SOL.

Please be patient with me with your answer becasue I'm on pins and needles with the thought of loosing everything, even though I've backed up my data (I'm worried that I've missed something and will only learn it when the IRS audits me or something draconian like that).

Thanks for your usual superb support and replies.

cheers,

Jack

FCE4 HD-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.4.11)

Posted on Jun 8, 2012 12:08 PM

4 replies

Jun 8, 2012 9:26 PM in response to nyjack1953

Sure...

Get an iCloud account first, but you can.should use the iPhone one if you have that setup already.

MobileMe & dot Mac will still work last I heard.

iCloud Mail setup, even in 10.4/10.5…

Don't delete your old account yet. Just setup a new one in Mail>Preferences>Accounts, little plus icon. Choose IMAP as account type, not ,mac or MobileMe.

IMAP (Incoming Mail Server) information:

▪ Server name: imap.mail.me.com

▪ SSL Required: Yes

▪ Port: 993

▪ Username: example@me.com (use your @me.com address from your iCloud account)

▪ Password: Your iCloud password

SMTP (outgoing mail server) information:

▪ Server name: smtp.mail.me.com

▪ SSL Required: Yes

▪ Port: 587

▪ SMTP Authentication Required: Yes

▪ Username: example@me.com (use your @me.com address from your iCloud account)

▪ Password: Your iCloud password

Upgrade from Tiger (10.4.11) to some iCloud O/S

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.