Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

emptying trash hangs

when I opened the lid of my macbookPro, the "emtying trash" pop-up was there, but did not move.

After a while (a few minutes) I hit the abort-button, and it still does not do anything.

It tried to empty the trash, and it try to stop emptying, but completely hangs. (The system being fully functional, though)...

what could I do to bring it to an end? kill the files one by one through terminal? any better (real) solution?

thanks!

david

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.3), 160 SSD

Posted on Jun 8, 2012 12:11 PM

7 replies

Jun 8, 2012 2:20 PM in response to david braun

Select  ▹ Force Quit... from the menu bar, then select Finder and press return. From the Finder menu bar, select Finder ▹ Preferences ▹ Advanced and uncheck the box labeled Empty Trash securely. Try again to empty the Trash. If you still have problems, follow the instructions in this support article:

You can't empty the Trash or move a file to the Trash

Jun 10, 2012 9:46 AM in response to Linc Davis

I'm having a problem deleting one file - it's a .dv file of about 23GB so I would really like to get rid of it. Originally tried to 'secure empty trash' and it hung up. Then tried regular and it did the same. It sometimes tells me it's in use - even after relaunching the finder (Force Quit) and restarting. Still hangs up. I tried to go to the link you mentioned to get that article, but Apple said it couldn't find the article. Can you point me in a better direction, or perhaps post the relavent portions in a reply?

Thanks

emptying trash hangs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.