Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

repair of g3 and g4 cd drives?

Does anyone in the D/FW metropolitan area in Texas repair g3/g4 imac desktops? My little teal darling needs it's CD drive either fixed or replaced. Either way, I need someone to do it for me if possible. I have 10.2.8 running on it and have for years (Apple gave all teachers in my district free OS X when it released initially) and recently bought 10.3 (that's as high on the OS X chain that I can go, I think) on ebay to upgrade it. That was when I found out the CD drive didn't work.

If you guys and ladies know know of anyone in my area that still fixes these little gems, I would appreciate it. It works fine except for that.

Thanking you in advance,

Enolena in Texas

iMac, iOS 2.x

Posted on Jun 8, 2012 1:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 8, 2012 1:49 PM

It's "teal" so it's probably an iMac G3 with a CRT (not flat screen) display, is that correct? Does it have a CD drive where you put the disc on a tray, or does the disc go into a slot?

6 replies

Jun 8, 2012 2:57 PM in response to Enolena

One of the "Bondi Blue" originals... 🙂 (Just to confirm, it is a greenish-blue color and not one of the "fruity" colors that came later. If you do an "About This Mac" from the Apple Menu on menu bar, it should say it's 233 MHz.)

If you want to find a business that repairs Macs (even old ones), you can use this web site

http://www.apple.com/buy/locator/service/

But the cost may be high compared to the value of the Mac at this point. Well, except for sentimental value...

That iMac is designed so that the entire "computing" portion is all on a "tray" inside the computer, that you can pull out and work on. The rest of the iMac (the non-computing portion) is the outer shell, display, speakers, power supply, etc. The two portions connect to each other inside the shell.

Here's a video on YouTube of someone taking it apart.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tk3LuEQt8gc

CDROM drive is right there, at the top of the tray that pulls out, easy to take off and replace.

If you don't feel comfortable doing it, maybe you know someone who is handy with a screwdriver. That's the only tool needed.

The replacement part is available from some places online. For examples

http://www.wegenermedia.com/imaccd.htm - For your iMac, it would be the part labeled iMac 24xCDROM Tray-loading drive. Fits early Rev1 tray loading iMacs (233mhz).

http://www.welovemacs.com/cr175d.html

eBay may have the part as well (just make sure you get the part that's for your iMac model).

Any replacement will no doubt be used or "refurbished" at this point.

Jun 8, 2012 7:42 PM in response to Kenichi Watanabe

You are an angel, Kenichi Watanabe! Yes this is the teal (blue-green) original chugging along at a high speed of 233 MHz with 320 megabytes of RAM. I would pay anything within reason to fix the problem. It has sentimental value and is used regularly (along with my Laptop and Desktop...both PCs).

Thank you again for your prompt attention to my problem.

Enolena

Jun 8, 2012 7:53 PM in response to Enolena

p.s....I found the iMac store that originally added the memory and new hard drive back in 2001. They had moved from the old location. I remembered the original location but not the name of the place... It came to me when I looked at the list of iMac stores in my area.

Thank you again. I'm calling them on Saturday.

Enolena

Jun 8, 2012 11:48 PM in response to Enolena

You should come back and report how that goes... 🙂

You mentioned you bought 10.3 (Panther). Does it come on THREE discs? I ask, because if it is just ONE gray-colored disc, it is the DVD installation disc that came with a specific Mac model. The retail package (sold separately in a box for use with any supported Mac) was three CDROM discs.

Your iMac's optical drive can only read CDs, so if you put a DVD in there, it would appear to be broken.

repair of g3 and g4 cd drives?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.