Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Help! How to e-mail a PDF (from Pages) with active web links!

I have been working on this for hours without any success! I would be so grateful for a brainy Apple wiz to help me out. I am creating a Pages document that has active web links in it. My goal is to e-mail my document with the active web links in it.

So - If I export my Pages doc as a PDF to my desktop, the links work great! However - the moment I put that PDF into an email and send it the links become inactive. Is there any way to create a Pages document with web links > Export it as a PDF > Then mail with active (clickable) links? I have tried many times without success.

If the answer to my question is no, does anyone have a tip for where I can create a PDF and mail it with active links? Will any of the Adobe programs work for this type of thing?

Thanks so much!!

Kristen

Pages-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Jun 8, 2012 1:47 PM

11 replies

Jun 8, 2012 10:49 PM in response to zacksgirl

I've created a basic document with a link in it and the link works when I export it as a PDF and then when I email it back to myself.

Can you explain more detail what you're doing? Maybe this will provide a clue as to why the links in the PDF document don't work after you've emailed them. For example, what sort of links, what type of computer and program is opening the PDF after you've emailed it, whether there's PDF settings or security software on the receiving computer that stops links working (malware has been created embedded links in PDFs).

Jun 11, 2012 6:42 AM in response to Dale Gillard

Thank you for your reply! I am using Pages '09 to create the document. My computer is a MacBook Pro running on OS X 10.7.2

I am trying to create a newsletter to send out that has active links (linking to my website) in it. To create the links in Pages I use inspector > "enable as a hyperlink."

Once I am finish creating my newsletter with the hyperlinks in it, I go to File > Print > PDF > Mail as PDF. Pages then exports my document as a PDF to my mail program (the Apple mail program). I use gmail. I email the pdf to myself and when I receive it the links do not work. When I click on the PDF the entire page highlights in light blue.

Any thoughts on what the problem might be? I'm not sure about my PDF settings or security software...how can I can on that?

Thanks so much!

Oct 4, 2012 4:40 PM in response to zacksgirl

The update doesn't help, I am having this same issue and I am running the latest...aside from the new OS, whatever cat it is this time. Did you ever figure this out, as it seems useless to create hyperlinks which cannot be opened in the email itself. Like every person that opens your email message will think to first open it in a program like preview before they can get to your link, riiiiiiight...

Any luck though?

Oct 4, 2012 9:09 PM in response to zacksgirl

Using Pages '09 v4.2.

I just tested this. Assumption: You have the “Windows friendly attachments” checked in the attachments panel.

Your Pages document is open. The web links are active. You want to get it into Mail.

From the Pages menu bar, choose Share > Send Via Mail > PDF.

Mail will open with a compose window. Your PDF will be attached as a full view document. You see the links present in the PDF.

Now, click near the web links. This shows your PDF in blue. Now right-button click, and choose View as Icon from the pop-up panel.

Now mail it to yourself on another account that Mail can open.

You will see the web links in the PDF.

Right-button click on a link and from the pop-up menu, choose Open with Safari.

If you chose Quick Look, it would pop open the PDF and offer to open it further in your default PDF viewer. In my case, it is Adobe Reader.

If Reader opens this PDF from the Mail attachment, the web links remain active.

Does this solve your issue?

Help! How to e-mail a PDF (from Pages) with active web links!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.