Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

receiving emails more then once, help please.

Receiving my emails ok, but after an hour or two I receive the same email again. Can someone help me please?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jun 8, 2012 5:50 PM

5 replies

Jun 9, 2012 10:41 AM in response to xamxam

Then my first suggestion is to turn off the setting in Mail that keeps a copy of the message on the server. POP is actually very out dated, and I suggest that you use IMAP if that's possible with your email provider. POP is prone to email being permanently lost if your Mac ever fails and you don't have a backup. IMAP allows for use of your email account on multiple computers.

There should also be an option in Mail that allows you to delete the copies being stored on the server. You should find all of this in Mail -- Preferences -- Accounts -- Mailbox Behaviors. You didn't mention in your reply who hosts your email. Can you fill me in on that?

Jun 9, 2012 1:25 PM in response to xamxam

I'm sorry... Bell? Do you mean one of the "baby Bell's"? Anyway... They should be allowing IMAP on their service. I know that AT&T (formerly Southwestern Bell) does. It might help to call tech support, and find out if they can give you IMAP settings.

Here's a list of incoming and outgoing email settings that I found for several email service providers.

http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB5892&cv=820#fbid=h0s6tVE_wnt

If you're using a provider who used to be one of the Bell companies, and later part of AT&T, your email settings probably include Yahoo's servers. Check my first suggestion, and see if that helps, but if you can move to IMAP, you'll be better off in the long run. Also, consider moving up to Lion, and registering with iCloud for a new email account. This will give you the ability to keep your email account even if you leave your internet service provider.

receiving emails more then once, help please.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.