I have no idea why but I can't delete or edit Address Book entries in Lion. It works fine on the web-based client and from my iPad 2 and iPhone 4 (CDMA). But my Address Book.app in Lion only can view them. I've tried turning off the Address Book function and re-adding it. I made sure all permissions are correct for the address book prefs etc are correct.
I am stumped! I am also irritated. I do Tech Support for a living and am pretty good at figuring this stuff out for other people. I am cluelss when it comes to myself!
Thanks to jamesk8752's link...I fixed it!!! :-) That link he posted brought me to the fix. I wrote it out easier to follow. I want to mention that when I upgraded to Mountain Lion the issue continued. This fix did the trick
1. Make a Backup Archive of your AddressBook.app (or Contacts.app)
2. Shut off iCloud Syncing (choose the option to delete the contacts).
3. Now with NO contacts in AddressBook (Contacts) quit the application.
4. Click on "go" and choose "go to folder" & navigate to [username]/Library/Application Support/AddressBook (even in Mountain Lion this is still accurate)
5. DELETE the addressbook-v22.abcddb file. Empty trash (just because I have OCD).
6. Reopen AddressBook/Contacts & create a new address card. You should now be able to edit it! Then delete it.
7. Go back into System Prefrences and turn on iCloud Contacts.
Your iCloud contacts will then appear and you'll be able to edit, delete, add, etc! Everything will be right as rain!