Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

'Byte-Range' request error, but no problems using Advanced menu

On Windows Vista PC, latest iTunes update:

No trouble subscribing to podcast feed using Advanced menu. iTunes will even update/load new episodes, but I receive 'byte-range' request error when submitting podcast feed to the directory.

Is it normal to be able to use the advanced menu option, but not be able to submit the same feed to the podcast directory?

PS: No trouble subscribing to same feed with Banshee media player using ubuntu Natty Narwhal. All podcast artwork and information intact.

Posted on Jun 8, 2012 5:28 PM

5 replies

Jun 8, 2012 11:48 PM in response to kristinmmaine

I'm afraid you've fallen over a requirement that Apple has recently introduced. The iPhone plays podcasts by using 'byte-range requests', which means calling for part of the file at a time rather than the whole thing. Unfortunately some servers don't support this, and there were an increasing number of complaints that podcasts which worked elsewhwere weren't working on an iPhone.

So Apple are now making the ability to handle this a condition of submission. Evidently your server doesn't support this, so all you can do is to ask them whether they can implement it. If not, you will have to find another hosting service - ask about this before committing yourself, and if they say no, or don't know what it is, find another host.

Jun 9, 2012 10:52 AM in response to Roger Wilmut1

Thank you, Roger, you've been incredibly helpful. I don't know for certain whether or not I'm going to bother changing hosting to get into the iTunes directory (it's a hobby podcast), but at least now I can make an informed decision on the matter.

Also, sorry if I clicked on the "this solved my problem" button in the wrong place. I didn't mean to do that.

'Byte-Range' request error, but no problems using Advanced menu

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.