5 Replies Latest reply: Jun 9, 2012 10:52 AM by kristinmmaine
kristinmmaine Level 1 Level 1

On Windows Vista PC, latest iTunes update:

No trouble subscribing to podcast feed using Advanced menu. iTunes will even update/load new episodes, but I receive 'byte-range' request error when submitting podcast feed to the directory.

Is it normal to be able to use the advanced menu option, but not be able to submit the same feed to the podcast directory?

PS: No trouble subscribing to same feed with Banshee media player using ubuntu Natty Narwhal. All podcast artwork and information intact.

Solved by kristinmmaine on Jun 9, 2012 10:52 AM Solved

Thank you, Roger, you've been incredibly helpful. I don't know for certain whether or not I'm going to bother changing hosting to get into the iTunes directory (it's a hobby podcast), but at least now I can make an informed decision on the matter.

Also, sorry if I clicked on the "this solved my problem" button in the wrong place. I didn't mean to do that.

Reply by Roger Wilmut1 on Jun 8, 2012 11:48 PM Helpful

I'm afraid you've fallen over a requirement that Apple has recently introduced. The iPhone plays podcasts by using 'byte-range requests', which means calling for part of the file at a time rather than the whole thing. Unfortunately some servers don't support this, and there were an increasing number of complaints that podcasts which worked elsewhwere weren't working on an iPhone.

So Apple are now making the ability to handle this a condition of submission. Evidently your server doesn't support this, so all you can do is to ask them whether they can implement it. If not, you will have to find another hosting service - ask about this before committing yourself, and if they say no, or don't know what it is, find another host.

Reply by Roger Wilmut1 on Jun 9, 2012 8:13 AM Helpful

It's certainly not a technical requirement for subscribing directly in iTunes - the only place it's a requirement is when an iPhone plays podcasts - but Apple are now making it a condition for submitting new podcasts. If you want to forgo the Store and simply give people the feed URL to subscribe manually it won't be an issue.

All replies

• Robert Walch Level 4 Level 4

What is your Feed URL?

• Roger Wilmut1 Level 9 Level 9
    expertise.itunes
    iTunes

I'm afraid you've fallen over a requirement that Apple has recently introduced. The iPhone plays podcasts by using 'byte-range requests', which means calling for part of the file at a time rather than the whole thing. Unfortunately some servers don't support this, and there were an increasing number of complaints that podcasts which worked elsewhwere weren't working on an iPhone.

So Apple are now making the ability to handle this a condition of submission. Evidently your server doesn't support this, so all you can do is to ask them whether they can implement it. If not, you will have to find another hosting service - ask about this before committing yourself, and if they say no, or don't know what it is, find another host.

• kristinmmaine Level 1 Level 1

So, just to be clear - 'byte-range request' is not required for using the advanced menu subscription option in iTunes on a PC, but it is a requirement for being in the directory?

• Roger Wilmut1 Level 9 Level 9
    expertise.itunes
    iTunes

It's certainly not a technical requirement for subscribing directly in iTunes - the only place it's a requirement is when an iPhone plays podcasts - but Apple are now making it a condition for submitting new podcasts. If you want to forgo the Store and simply give people the feed URL to subscribe manually it won't be an issue.

• kristinmmaine Level 1 Level 1

Thank you, Roger, you've been incredibly helpful. I don't know for certain whether or not I'm going to bother changing hosting to get into the iTunes directory (it's a hobby podcast), but at least now I can make an informed decision on the matter.

Also, sorry if I clicked on the "this solved my problem" button in the wrong place. I didn't mean to do that.