Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why doesn't mail have auto capitalization in MacBook Pro with os lion

MacBook Pro, iOS 5.1.1

Posted on Jun 8, 2012 7:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 8, 2012 8:35 PM

It isn't a feature available in Lion or in any other Mail version that I can remember. Doesn't work like iOS devices.

Since Apple seems to be moving toward making the computer more like iOS devices, perhaps it might be available in Mountain Lion or later versions.

5 replies

Jul 29, 2012 8:43 PM in response to Linc Davis

I think its incredible that the Mac could be lacking such a feature. I recently switched over to a Mac and its very annoying to be missing that simple feature. For all of the people that hate on Microsoft, at least they thought about their cutomers on this one and set up a pretty good auto correct and auto capitalization for windows. Please dont use the same response I have seen a bumch on here that people should just "learn to use the shift key." Also, going to the preferences and adding this for each and every possible combination is not a good solution.

Sep 20, 2012 3:50 PM in response to Keith wants to know

A couple workarounds that I have used are:

First, for capitalizing the "i" into an "I", is to go into System Preferences / Language and Text and choose the text box which brings you to text substitution where you can replace "i" with an "I". This will now work pretty much systemwide.

Now, with Mountain Lion, I use dictation to capitalize everything I speak, which works incredibly well.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.