Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to copy programs from old MacBook to new MacBook

I am planning to purchase a new MacBook. Currently, I have programs installed in my old MacBook.

Is there a way I can copy these programs to the new MacBook without the need to use installation disks or drives?

Thank you.

2.4 GHz MacBook, Mac OS X (10.5.4)

Posted on Jun 8, 2012 8:45 PM

5 replies

Jun 10, 2012 5:31 AM in response to SouthPhillyPT

Can I just leap in here and advise against using Migration Assistant if at all possible.

When you run the new Mac for the first time, Setup Assistant will ask if you want to transfer data from another Mac or other sources. That is the best time to do it.

It will transfer your user account and prefences settings, as well as Applications (if you select it to do so).

You may find some applications are rejected because they won't run on Lion. If you have any older programmes which use PPC code you'll need to find newer versions to work in Lion or convert files to a format that can be run in another programme.

How to copy programs from old MacBook to new MacBook

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.