Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Make the lowest volume even quieter?

How can I make the lowest volume level on my iMac even quieter than it is at the moment? The volume settings are usually fine for normal use, but sometimes I want to plug in my earphones to the iMac, and have some music playing very quietly in the background while I work. I'd like for the volume to be so low that I can barely hear it, basically.

Is there an app or something that can allow me to do this?

I know that there's a hidden feature where if you put the volume to the lowest level, then hit the mute button, the volume will reach an "ultra-low" volume level, but this is still not low enough for me. Also, I know that it's possible to decrease the volume at quarter-notch intervals, but again that still doesn't do the trick.

Thanks in advance to anyone with an answer to this problem!

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.2), 3.2 GHz Intel Core i3, 4 GB RAM

Posted on Jun 8, 2012 11:13 PM

12 replies

Jun 9, 2012 1:11 PM in response to baltwo

That was my mistake; I don't update my Apple profile all that often. I have the latest version.

I don't want to use external speakers because I want to plug earphones directly into the audio jack from the iMac. The speakers I currently have, at least, and I'm sure this is the case for others, it has a buzzing sound for earphones plugged into it.

Make the lowest volume even quieter?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.