Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie 11 drops Transitions with PIP and Titles on preview play back and export

I use a PIP to place a water mark on my video. It is a png file. So the PIP is continuous across the timeline covering all clips and transitions. During Playback the video freezes. but the paly head still moves and the audio still continues. On export, Forget it. All the transitions are dropped. Can this bug be fixed?

iMovie '11, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Jun 9, 2012 1:15 AM

6 replies

Jun 10, 2012 11:51 AM in response to Ted-from-CA

out of experience from iMovie 1 to HD6 / 08 to 11

Apple - never fixed any problem related here - not just interested - compare the out-roar on iDVD and the lack of it.

No Apple knows best - how ever wrong they are - and has not up till today understood the subtle art of listening and learning.

Yours - Very happy when there are work around's - that helps us to complete a task - Bengt W

Dec 1, 2012 12:21 PM in response to Ted-from-CA

I asked the iMovie expert in an Apple store about this and he confirmed it is a bug and clearly has been for a while. Export, import, then add PIP and export again results in a lower quality video as it degrades with each export. I sort of get around it by adding the PIP as close to the transaction as possible but that does mean it appears and disappear suddenly, the transition icon goes grey when it is too close.

Dec 1, 2012 2:56 PM in response to Ian on iTunes

This is not a bug. It is a feature. iMovie does all rendering in one pass, so you cannot do effects that require multiple nested renders. For this you need Final Cut Pro.

I understand what you are trying to do, but iMovie is not the right tool for it.

I think the Bengt's workaround is reasonable if you don't otherwise need to spend the $300 for Final Cut Pro.

iMovie 11 drops Transitions with PIP and Titles on preview play back and export

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.