Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is my iMac 2011 running too hot?

User uploaded file

Using iStatPro, these are the temps of my system at 100% idle.

Is it too hot? should I be worried? My imac screen is warm at the bottom and hotter towards the top. I live in Dubai and room temprature is about 20 - 25 degrees depending on how long the air conditioning was turned on.

Any suggestions to cool it or something I should worry about or is this normal?

iMac (21.5-inch Mid 2011), Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jun 9, 2012 2:49 AM

14 replies

Jun 9, 2012 4:29 AM in response to BGreg

Thanks for letting me know 🙂

Heres the temp now after almost 6 hours (just browsing in safari):

CPU:

Idle: 100%

Temps:

HD: 54

CPU: 49

Ambient: 33 (is this related to room temp? its a bit warm now as ac been off for some time. Outside temp 39)

GPU Diode: 52

GPU Heatsink: 52

Mem Controller: 55

Optical Drive: 48

Power suppply 2: 68

Fans:

Optical Drive: 1398rpm

Hard drive: 1102rpm

CPU fan: 1198 rpm

Jun 9, 2012 5:51 AM in response to dominicandsumi

Very accepable tempratures, unless your system is malfunctioning then leave it alone. Of course pay heed to Apple's specifications, what they say for a 2011 iMac is:

Operating temperature: 50° to 95° F (10° to 35° C)

This is the eviroment the machine lives in. If your system lives in a temprature outside those boundries then it's up to you to cool the enviroment down.

Jun 9, 2012 7:22 AM in response to rkaufmann87

er...

i forgot to add, most importantly that these temps are in ° C

If I were to convert them to ° F, then

HD: 129

CPU: 120.2

Ambient: 91.4 (is this related to room temp? its a bit warm now as ac been off for some time. Outside temp 39)

GPU Diode: 125.6

GPU Heatsink: 125.6

Mem Controller: 131

Optical Drive: 118

Power suppply 2: 154.4

Does that mean my temps are way off the mark and it depends on room temprature as well to keep the system cool?

Also, right now after the Aircon being on for about 2 hrs at about its much cooler:

HD: 113

CPU: 101

Ambient: 74 (is this related to room temp? its a bit warm now as ac been off for some time. Outside temp 39)

GPU Diode: 113

GPU Heatsink: 112

Mem Controller: 115

Optical Drive: 99

Power suppply 2: 124

Jun 9, 2012 9:54 AM in response to dominicandsumi

I am pickier about temps. Short term (very) you can live with those, but long term they will be damaging. I don't like the drive at 54, nor the Power Supply at 68.

See my posts in these threads about temps and using smcFan Control. You can also bring the temps down somewhat by running a fan at the back of the computer.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3219643?start=0&tstart=0

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3617828?start=0&tstart=0

39C/100F room temp is awfully hot, so probably not that much you can do about it. If it gets that hot here, I sleep the computer often or just give up until things cool off. At 100F I can't even think about sitting in front of a computer.

Jun 9, 2012 12:12 PM in response to rkaufmann87

Roger, you might want to have a look at this. It's from '06, but no less relevant today. True, I also said not much you can do with an ambient temp like that. Btw, the published operating temp specs from Apple really have nothing to with this. They are insanely irrelevant to real world concerns.

Hard drive temperature is arguably the most important temperature to monitor in your computer. If you regularly see temperatures of 45C or higher on your drive, consider improving airflow in your case. If you don't, you've substantially increased your risk of hard drive failure or data loss.

http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/2006/12/hard-drive-temperatures-be-afraid.html

And BDAqua, who briefly joined this thread earlier, may have something to say from experience about high PS temps.

Jun 13, 2012 5:31 AM in response to rkaufmann87

Thankyou for the replies rkaufmann87,

This is my first iMac, though my second mac. Previously I had a MacBook Pro that would run super hot but I was used to that and hearing about the heating issues. I never did run iStatPro on the MacBook Pro so would never know how it compared to my iMac's temprature.

I turn on the air conditioning more often now to keep my iMac cool. May consider buying a small fan to fit somewhere behind it so that the system remains cooler overall.

Jun 13, 2012 5:43 AM in response to WZZZ

Thankyou WZZZ,

I think seeing the temp readings on iStat and feeling the FRONT of my iMac hot is what got me worried in the first place. I'm not too worried about the back panel, but the display getting hot from the overall temprature is what worries me.

Is that normal? At work we have an iMac (2006) and its turned on from morning 9am till 9pm. However I feel its temprature and display temprature is much less. 😐

Infact the display temprature is almost normal to a light warm towards the top. (but then I'm walking around with a shawl to keep myself from freezing at work)

I keep the room (at home) between 25-28°C. But the aircon is off inbetween so that its not too cold.

Any suggestions as to what I can do to keep the HD and PS temps in a more safe range. Or is my only option to keep the aircon on high and an additional fan maybe?

However I couldn't access the link you had posted regarding hard drive tempratures. Could you please repost the link again? Thanks 🙂

Jun 13, 2012 6:41 AM in response to dominicandsumi

Scroll down to see my posts in this thread. It starts off on a different topic

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3219643?start=0&tstart=0

The entire aluminum back of the iMac acts as a heatsink, so moving the heat off that will help keep things cooler inside.

The fan at the back can be helpful, but only to a certain extent; if the room is too hot you'll only be blowing hot air around.

Is my iMac 2011 running too hot?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.