Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What happened to Save As?

One of my biggest frustrations with Lion is the disapperance of the Save As command. The whole business of lock and unlock, duplicate, is needlessly confusing, and you often cannot easily figure out where it is putting your document. Is there any way to avoid this, and simply use Save As?

MacPro, iMac, MBPro 2.66 Intel Core i7, MackBook 2 G2, various G5's, Mac OS X (10.6.6), 1 TB Time Capsule (early 2009) & Airport Express

Posted on Jun 9, 2012 4:13 AM

1 reply

Jun 9, 2012 4:29 AM in response to Glen Grayson

Not in Lion. There's nothing particularly difficult about it.

Until you save a document, it sits in it's untitled state in a temp location. Once you save it, you can pick where you want to save it. I never save anything, anymore, until I need a physical file to send or archive.

Instead of Save As, you duplicate the document, then save it wherever you'd like.

The locking is for keeping a version from being edited. You can adjust the amount of time it waits to lock in the Time Machine prefs.

Here is a short article on how it all works: http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/benefits-autosave-option-os-lion-mac/

What happened to Save As?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.