Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes won't import an M4R file

Hi

I have iTunes on a Windows 7 PC. I have created an M4R file by changing the suffix of the AAC file. When I try to import into my tones folder - iTunes won't. There is no error - it just doesn't do anything.

I have succeeded before, but that was a while ago. I would REALLY appreciate some help.

Kev

iPhone 4, Windows 7

Posted on Jun 9, 2012 6:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 24, 2017 11:51 AM

Hi everyone.

Same issue here and the solution was a simple CTRL C CTRL V in the tones folder!!!! That's it. I counldn't drag and drop but i could copy and paste! Try it I hope it will help you guys too.

Atish

30 replies

Mar 8, 2017 2:28 AM in response to essthere

This is a user to user support forum. You need to describe your problem clearly for best results. A valid ringtone file is one that is an AAC audio file, less than 40 seconds long, and with a .m4r file extension. Once the file has been generated it needs to be added to iTunes. The easiest way to do that is to move or copy it into <Media Folder>\Automatically Add to iTunes. The tones section of the library may need to be revealed in iTunes, since it is normally hidden by default. Click the media selection tool near the top left of iTunes, then Edit Menu, tick Tones, and then Done. Select Tones from the media selector. Your added tone should be visible here. Connect your device. Select it from the icon to the right of the media selector. Select the device's Tones tab. Enable Sync Tones. Sync. On the device go to Settings > Sounds or edit a contact to make use of the ringtone.

tt2

Feb 12, 2013 4:36 AM in response to k3vb8ll

Hello All,

I'm in the same boat as Kev at the top of the page.

I have iTunes on windows 7, have copied the ACC file onto my desktop, changed it from .m4a to .m4r and when trying to drop it into my tones folder, it goes straight into music....

Same with when I double click on it from the desktop.

So frustrating!!!

Adore any input!

XX Nerina

Aug 12, 2014 6:05 PM in response to k3vb8ll

Hi there! I've been having the same problem since I downloaded the latest version of iTunes (11.3.1). I've always been able to create ringtones using the same method that everyone has been describing: create a 30 second AAC version of the song, delete the original, rename the extension, import the m4r file. However, I had no such luck when I tried doing so today. I found a way around the new version of the application, but it's pretty lengthy. Someone might be able to find a shorter way, but this is what worked for me:

1. Create a 30 second or less mp3 version (since there's no longer the option to create an AAC file)
  2. Show in finder
  3. Delete the mp3 from iTunes library (keep the file, do not move to trash)
  4. Open the mp3 with QuickTime Player
  5. Export the mp3 to iTunes (somehow this converts the file to an AAC version)
  6. Show in finder
  7. Delete the AAC version from iTunes (keep the file, do not move to trash)
  8. Change the file extension from .m4a to .m4r
  9. Import the .m4r file, and it should appear in the Tones section of your iTunes

Hope this helps! 🙂

iTunes won't import an M4R file

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.