Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I move iphoto albums to backup, now, how do I delete photos from iphoto on my hd?

It looks to me like once I move an album to my ext hd that the photos are not removed from my iphoto on my internal hd? I want to free up space but only want to back up certain albums.

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Jun 9, 2012 7:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 9, 2012 8:37 AM

How are you moving them? Exporting does not remove material from iPhoto.

Why not have two Libraries, one on your internal drive, one on the external?

Here's one way to do what you want:

Make sure the drive is formatted Mac OS Extended (Journaled)

1. Quit iPhoto

2. Copy the iPhoto Library from your Pictures Folder to the External Disk.

Now you have two full versions of the Library.

3. On the Internal library, trash the Events you don't want there

Now you have a full copy of the Library on the External and a smaller subset on the Internal

Some Notes:

As a general rule: when deleting photos do them in batches of about 100 at a time. iPhoto can baulk at trashing large numbers at one go.

You can choose which Library to open: Hold down the option (or alt) key key and launch iPhoto. From the resulting menu select 'Choose Library'

You can keep the Library on the external updated with new imports using iPhoto Library Manager

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 9, 2012 8:37 AM in response to waltseale

How are you moving them? Exporting does not remove material from iPhoto.

Why not have two Libraries, one on your internal drive, one on the external?

Here's one way to do what you want:

Make sure the drive is formatted Mac OS Extended (Journaled)

1. Quit iPhoto

2. Copy the iPhoto Library from your Pictures Folder to the External Disk.

Now you have two full versions of the Library.

3. On the Internal library, trash the Events you don't want there

Now you have a full copy of the Library on the External and a smaller subset on the Internal

Some Notes:

As a general rule: when deleting photos do them in batches of about 100 at a time. iPhoto can baulk at trashing large numbers at one go.

You can choose which Library to open: Hold down the option (or alt) key key and launch iPhoto. From the resulting menu select 'Choose Library'

You can keep the Library on the external updated with new imports using iPhoto Library Manager

Jun 9, 2012 9:43 AM in response to waltseale

Note that you are not making a backup. To have a backup you must have your original and one or more copies of it. You are archiving photos not backing the up. If yor archive device failes you will lose your photos. If you primary library failes yor will not be able to restore it but will have to start over with a new iPhoto library

To back up you must have a copy of the entire iPhoto library

LN

I move iphoto albums to backup, now, how do I delete photos from iphoto on my hd?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.