Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Converter cable for hard drives

I have a IBM Deskstar ATA/IDE hard drive, model DTLA-305040 that came out of a Power Mac G4 (Quicksilver) whose power supply died. I'm trying to install the hard drive in the open bay of a Power Mac G5 9,1 - A1093 with a 1.8 GHz processor, which (I think/guess) takes a SATA hard drive. Is there a cable I can use to make the hard drive "compatible" inside the G5? Or would it be better to just get a cable to access the hard drive externally, copy the data off it and then be done with the old hard drive? It's pretty old and apparently these IBM Deskstar drives had a lot of issues.

Thanks for any input.

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.4), Model 5,1/2.4 GHz/8 core (mid 2010)

Posted on Jun 9, 2012 7:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 9, 2012 8:18 AM

Tempo Bridge from Sonnet. One solution, I suppose.

6 replies

Jun 14, 2012 3:01 PM in response to Norm Shea

Okay, I've got the Tempo Bridge in. The question I have now is, how should I configure the jumpers on the hard drive. Again it's an IBM Deskstar ATA/IDE hard drive, model DTLA-305040 that came out of a Power Mac G4 (Quicksilver). It's going in as an additional hard drive in a Power Mac G5 9,1 - A1093.

The jumpers are currently configured for DEVICE 0 (MASTER) :::: The other options are DEVICE 1 (SLAVE) :::: or CABLE SELECT :::: or FORCING DEV 1 PRESENT :::: I'm assuming that it would be the first option, DEVICE 1 (SLAVE) :::: but I just wanted to check first.

Converter cable for hard drives

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.