Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

java unavailable or not installed

This is the message I get when I try to open a secure site used for work. Software is up to date. It's the 1st time it has happened and I accessed this site prior to having my hard drive replaced. Any ideas?

A1224, Mac OS X (10.5.2), First time to Mac

Posted on Jun 9, 2012 10:28 AM

19 replies

Jun 9, 2012 11:02 AM in response to X423424X

Java is on and the boxes are checked. Everything else is operating normally and this is the only site where this has occurred. My wife loaded a new version of flash recently but that should have nothing to do with it. What else could be going on? I'm not a sophisticated Mac user but I can make my way around settings and such if I know where to go. Thanks

Jun 9, 2012 12:42 PM in response to Steven Carriere4

Never heard of JavaDisabler and I certainly don't have it on my 10.6.5 system.

The only other thing I can think of is maybe the site you are trying to use doesn't like Safari or any other browwser running on a mac. Try another browser like firefox or try changing the user agent to make the site think you are using internet explorer.

In safari preferences, advanced, there's a checbox near the bottom to show the develop menu. Check that and in the Develop menu in the menu bar is the User Agent menu item from which you can make the receiver think you are using one of the specified browser you select from the list.

Jun 9, 2012 1:25 PM in response to Steven Carriere4

Glad you posted the site. Here's what I discovered.

It is a function of the browser, whether you can accept security certificates, and whether java applets are permitted to be launched.

Firefox displayed the white page you said you saw.

Camino hung up on the security certificate stuff or launching the applet.

Safari, Opera, OmniWeb, and iCab all apparently successfully accessed the site (I guess). They each wanted approval of a security certificate from Oracle. Each displayed a gray box in the browser window and the java applet launched its own window with a login request:

User uploaded file

The window title containing that login was "Oracle Developer Forms Runtime - Web".

(yes, I collect browsers sort of like stamps😉)

Jun 9, 2012 1:52 PM in response to X423424X

I think you're right because I can't get to the "Oracle Developer Forms Runtime- Web". It is exactly where I need to be to log on. I tried the other user agents and the Mac and Firefox attempts gave me the same pop up message. The windows versions said I needed a plug-in that I didn't have. Ok... so what can I do to get past the security certificate handling problem? I checked the browser preferences and I'm wide-open.

Jun 9, 2012 2:20 PM in response to Steven Carriere4

I am not really sure what you have to do to get around this. Two general ideas are,

1. Safari preferences, Security, check checkbox at bottom about "Ask before sending a non-secure from from a secure website".

2. Open the Keychain Access (in Utilities) and look around to see if somehow there's already a certificate for the site that is somehow causing the problem and delete it. Not sure what name you need to look for ("Oracle"?)

java unavailable or not installed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.