Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My Ipad is in a locked rotation. How can I unlock it? carolynmunson

My Ipad is in a locked rotation. How can I unlock it? carolynm.

iPad 2, iOS 5.1.1

Posted on Jun 9, 2012 10:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 9, 2012 10:03 AM

Is there a lock symbol at the top of the screen next to the battery indicator ? If there is, then depending on what you've got Settings > General > Use Side Switch To set to (rotation lock or mute notifications), then you can lock/unlock the rotation by the switch on the right hand side of the iPad, or via the taskbar : double-click the home button; slide from the left; and it's the icon far left; press home again to exit the taskbar. The function that isn't on the side switch is set via the taskbar instead : http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4085

If there isn't a lock symbol then try a reset : press and hold both the sleep and home buttons for about 10 to 15 seconds (ignore the red slider), after which the Apple logo should appear - you won't lose any content, it's the iPad equivalent of a reboot.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 9, 2012 10:03 AM in response to carolynmunson

Is there a lock symbol at the top of the screen next to the battery indicator ? If there is, then depending on what you've got Settings > General > Use Side Switch To set to (rotation lock or mute notifications), then you can lock/unlock the rotation by the switch on the right hand side of the iPad, or via the taskbar : double-click the home button; slide from the left; and it's the icon far left; press home again to exit the taskbar. The function that isn't on the side switch is set via the taskbar instead : http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4085

If there isn't a lock symbol then try a reset : press and hold both the sleep and home buttons for about 10 to 15 seconds (ignore the red slider), after which the Apple logo should appear - you won't lose any content, it's the iPad equivalent of a reboot.

Jun 9, 2012 10:03 AM in response to carolynmunson

If you see a lock icon in the upper right corner of the screen - then the screen orientation is locked.

Try the side switch above the volume rocker first and see if that unlocks the screen. If that doesn't do it, double tap the home button and swipe to the right and look for the lock icon all the way to the left.

If the screen is unlocked but still will not rotate, reset the iPad.

Reset the iPad by holding down on the sleep and home buttons at the same time for about 10-15 seconds until the Apple Logo appears - ignore the red slider - let go of the buttons.

My Ipad is in a locked rotation. How can I unlock it? carolynmunson

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.