2 Replies Latest reply: Jun 10, 2012 7:49 AM by geri@ytc
geri@ytc Level 1 Level 1

Is it possible to use the shuffle i-pod as a sound system with speakers, like the 'normal' i-pod please?

iPod shuffle, Windows 7
Reply by Kenichi Watanabe on Jun 9, 2012 2:17 PM Helpful

If the sound system has a mini-stereo jack as an input, yes.  A mini-stereo jack is the same size hole where you connect headphones to your iPod shuffle, except the one on the sound system would have to be for INPUT, not output.  You then connect the iPod to the sound system using a cable like this

http://www.amazon.com/Monster-iCable-Player-Auxiliary-Input/dp/B002AR5XIK/ref=pd _cp_e_1

If the sound system has some other type of input, such as a pair of RCA connectors (usually colored red and white), there are adapter cables that go from mini-stereo to RCA.

The only problem would be IF your iPod happens to be the third gen model.  That model does not have any control buttons on the iPod itself, so there would be no way to control playback without using Apple headphones with control buttons.

All replies

• Kenichi Watanabe Level 8 Level 8
    expertise.macosx
    Mac OS X

If the sound system has a mini-stereo jack as an input, yes.  A mini-stereo jack is the same size hole where you connect headphones to your iPod shuffle, except the one on the sound system would have to be for INPUT, not output.  You then connect the iPod to the sound system using a cable like this

http://www.amazon.com/Monster-iCable-Player-Auxiliary-Input/dp/B002AR5XIK/ref=pd _cp_e_1

If the sound system has some other type of input, such as a pair of RCA connectors (usually colored red and white), there are adapter cables that go from mini-stereo to RCA.

The only problem would be IF your iPod happens to be the third gen model.  That model does not have any control buttons on the iPod itself, so there would be no way to control playback without using Apple headphones with control buttons.

• geri@ytc Level 1 Level 1

Thank you for this information and advice, which I shall try. I will let you know if this works for me and appreciate your help!