Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Clamshell iBook Limbo

I have a Tangeriene Clamshell iBook stuck in limbo. When it boots, it plays the tiger intro video, then when it should start the setup (Getting Started), it just displays the wallpaper and a cursor. Resetting the password doesn't work using any install discs (Tiger, Panther, Jaguar, Puma, or even Cheetah) and I can't get in using single user mode. I tried the ⌘+S at startup and attempted:

[mount -uw / > launchctl load /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.DirectoryServices.plist > Is /Users > dscl . -passwd /Users/*username *password > reboot]

with no luck. I also tried:

[mount -uw / > rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone > shutdown -h now]

and it did initialize the "new" computer simulation. I popped in the original disc (Mac OS9) and used disk first aid to repair the HDD. Now I'm stuck at the video as said above. It has a 40 gb hard drive with a 300 or 366 mhz PPC 750 G3 processor (not sure which one) and an 256 mb or ram. Suggestions? Thanks!

iBook, Mac OS X (10.4.11)

Posted on Jun 9, 2012 11:39 AM

8 replies

Jun 9, 2012 3:22 PM in response to BDAqua

Unfortunatly, I don't have any "normal" install discs. I only have 10.0 and os 9. The rest are update CDs or CDs that came with computers such as the eMac, iBook g3 and g4, and iMac (tray and slot). So if I were to zero the disc, I would be without a decent operating system (only having mac os 9 and 10.0 install discs, I can't upgrade without the install discs for 10.1, 10.2, 10.3 or 10.4.) The hard drive is not apple certified, do there's no garuntee zeroing would even work. any other options?

Clamshell iBook Limbo

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.