Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sms delivery report

why there is no delivery report on sms seting??????????????

iPhone 4S, iOS 5.1.1, Sms delivery report

Posted on Jun 9, 2012 12:31 PM

6 replies

Jun 15, 2012 4:21 AM in response to Julian Wright

I think what "Mbahfen" is asking is why they haven't included it when nearly every other phone on the market has this facility. Yes, you're right it is network dependant, but Apple have no settings on their iOS to enable it to be switched on. It astounds me to this day why they have included this feature. Clearly it may not work depending on your choice of carrier but most of them do. Putting the code before every text you send just doesn't cut it these days I'm afraid.

Very frustrated at Apple over this.

Sep 15, 2012 12:30 AM in response to Julian Wright

SMS Delivery Reports are part of the GSM standard. Apple has chosen not to follow this international standard. Real phones set a single bit in the SMS header if they want a delivery report and then intercept the reply. I beleive that US carriers origionally did not adopt the International Standard which my be why Apple is ignoring it also. The Network may provide the facility to receive a Delivery Report via a pre-fix code in the outgoing message but this varies from provider to provider and the only sure way to do it is via the bit in the SMS header. In all other phones sold outwith the USA this is done simply by setting a preference.

The Network cannot 'switch on' delivery reports, the phone has to request them.

There are some very good articles on WiKi describing the GSM standard for SMS and also some code examples of how to do it properly. It is a marketing decision by Apple to not include this essential (to the rest of the world) feature and is why most of us doing buisiness outside the USA have to carry 2 phones, an iPhone for the fantastic design and feel and another phone to do buisiness with!

The conspiricy theorist in me thinks the whole thing is a ploy to get us all using iPhones with iMessage - why do Apple provide Delivery Reports for iMessages if they don't think they are useful?

Sms delivery report

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.