Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does iPhone use so much Data?

Just switched from Blackberry to iPhone. Using the same apps (fb, email, Linkedin) with no push notifications. I used 10M in 1 month with bb, and 60M in 2 days with iPhone. There is something really odd about how much usage is there with iPhone. Any suggestions besides the basic - close apps running in the background?

iPhone 4S

Posted on Jun 9, 2012 2:50 PM

3 replies

Jun 9, 2012 3:08 PM in response to iPhone_User2

Blackberries are specificaly designed to use as little data as possilble. They originated at a time when mobile data was extremely expensive. They achieve this, in part, by sacrificing user experience. Web browsing on a BB, for example is much more of a "mobile" phone experience than the iPhones almost desktop like one. iPhone apps, in general, will use more data that BB apps. What you're seeing fairly common.

Almost no apps run in the background on iOS.

Jun 9, 2012 6:46 PM in response to iPhone_User2

I get what you are saying, but I have not used my iPhone for anything other than email.

Not based on this copied from your original post.

Using the same apps (fb, email, Linkedin) with no push notifications.

Using the FaceBook app and the Linkedin app uses cellular data when not connected to an avaialble wi-fi network and much more than the same apps with a Blackberry for the reasons already provided. You haven't used Safari for any web browsing, the same for Weather app or the Maps app when not connected to an avaialble wi-fi network?

Have any of the received or sent email message included attachments?

If the iPhone is not connected to a power source when connected to an available wi-fi network, the network will be disconnected while not actively using the iPhone and when putting the iPhone's screen to sleep.

Why does iPhone use so much Data?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.