Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to convert NTFS external hard drive to FAT32 without loosing data?

thanks, Antoni

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.8), Seagate Agent GoFlex 1.5TB

Posted on Jun 9, 2012 4:53 PM

6 replies

Jun 9, 2012 5:10 PM in response to Camelot

Camelot,

thanks for your help.

I am finding plenty of apps that seem to be doing exactly that, but they're all only running under Windows (i.e. Aomei NTFS to FAT32 Converter 2.0). Unless I am not getting it right, or is it only not possible to be done on a mac os machine?

Since I got this 1.5TB drive it was filling up very fast and now I only have 500GB still unused on it, whereas my Mac Pro itself has a 200GB drive only. Hence that's not really an easy option for me.

Jun 9, 2012 10:34 PM in response to jar9

Even formatted to FAT32, you're still limited by the fact that FAT32 cannot support files that are larger than 4GB. NTFS can and so can HFS+. Unfortunately, the Mac does not write to NTFS natively unless it's a shared drive on a Windows PC. There is software that allows the Mac to write NTFS though. Here's one. It's paid software:

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/26288/ntfs-for-mac-os-x

I've seen this on a few Macs, but I've never tried it since I don't have a need to write NTFS from a Mac.

How to convert NTFS external hard drive to FAT32 without loosing data?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.