Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac mouse is too sensitive. Anyone know how to relax it?

Mac wireless mouse is too sensitive and jumps around ahead of me. Anyone know how to slow it down?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Jun 9, 2012 5:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 9, 2012 7:33 PM

Go to System Preferences>Mouse and adjust the tracking speed to your liking.

User uploaded file

5 replies

Aug 29, 2013 9:13 PM in response to rellerbrake

I had the same problem, with a new iMac: I was getting a lot of random scrolling, in the middle of editing work, and it was very annoying.

Contacted Apple and they told me to do an SMC (?) reset, which changed nothing.

I then realized that the problem was from an over-sensitive Magic Mouse. Many users seem to complain about this over-sensitivity, especially for newer computers.

So, a while ago, I took the following advice the website at the end of this post.

Control the touch-sensitive area of this mouse with the free app MagicPrefs (not clear why Apple does not provide something this useful):

download it from http://magicprefs.com/ and install

then go to its Preferences

in the new window that opens, click on Configure Scrolling, at the bottom right

you will then see the sensitive area of your mouse

click and drag to reduce that area

I had found that especially touching the edges of the mouse start the random scrolling

so, I made the touch-sensitive area for scrolling very small, and in the top-middle of the mouse, about where the scroll-wheel would be on a normal User uploaded file mouse.

Hope this saves you all a lot of frustration.

P.S. I learned about MagicPrefs from one of these frustrated people

http://blog.digitaltavern.com/mac-my...es-a-bad-combo

Nov 13, 2013 6:39 AM in response to rellerbrake

I found this forum because I had the same problem... inadvertently scrolling when I didn't want to. The best fix I found was to install MagicPrefs, http://magicprefs.com/, a free app that lets you control just about everything with the MagicMouse and Trackpad. I unchecked the single-finger scroll and the problem completely went away, leaving scrolling to 2-fingers (or 3). If that proves to be too unnatural, I will try narrowing the scroll area on the mouse surface. Either way, I can't recommend this app enough. Apple needs to include these features if they are going to resolve all of these complaints. Maybe under a "Advanced" setting window... just a thought.

Feb 24, 2015 2:19 AM in response to sircosti

Thanks for the MagicPrefs tip! The magic mouse is a brilliant bit of kit, but the latest OS updates really seem to have messed with its sensitivity - almost to the point of making it unusable. Have just installed the MagicPrefs app and, so far, it seems to be making a difference. Working in Quark or InDesign is far less jumpy scrolling down when in Chrome is no longer jumping back to the previous page (or forward, as sometimes happens).

Mac mouse is too sensitive. Anyone know how to relax it?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.