12 Replies Latest reply: Jun 9, 2012 9:29 PM by Kibbles1
Kibbles1 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I recently moved to Japan and have set up my airport express with a new service provider. My computer will pick up the signal but despite all troubleshooting efforts my other devices (IPAD, IPAD2, IPHONES) are detecting the signal but not connecting to the internet. Please help.

iOS 5.1.1
  • Bob Timmons Level 10 Level 10 (88,665 points)

What happens if you shut down your computer and leave it off?

If you power down and restart the AirPort Express while leaving the computer off,  can any other devices connect now?

If yes, which one?

Was the one that connected the first one that you tried?

• Kibbles1 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

We previously tried that and only the MacBook stills connects.  We also have another MacBook in the house and that will not connect either.  All devices that cannot connect to the internet are saying they have a self addressed IP address and cannot connect.  Is it possible that the router portion of the Time Capsule may be bad?

Sorry, I am confused.  Your first post mentioned an AirPort Express as your router and now you are asking about the Time Capsule as a router.

Which device is performing routing duties on your network?

Can you tell us something about the modem that the provider has furnished?  A make and model number might help us try to understand how you have the network configured.

Sorry for the confusion.  It is the Time Capsule that is being used to connect to the internet not Airport Express.  Any ideas?  I know it has to do with the devices not being assigned an IP address by the Time Capsule, but cannot figure out how to resolve this.

Thanks for the clarification.

Can you tell us something about the modem that the service provider has furnished?  A make and model number might help us understand the capabilities of this device and whether or not it is fully compatible with the Time Capsule.

The service provider gave us a Motorola SURFBoard cable modem, model number SB5101J.  If this is not compatible, is there a brand name you would recommend that I could use?

Last bit of information... my daughter's Kindle Fire will also not connect to the Time Capsule.  Everything worked as advertised right before we moved to Japan.

This appears to be a standard cable modem, but when I enter the exact model number on a search to learn more about this, I get Internet pages in Japanese. I will have to assume that this is the same basic model as a normal SB5101 Motorola.

Do you have a Mac there with AirPort Utility installed?

AirPort Utility is located as follows:

Macintosh HD > Applications > Utilities > AirPort Utility

If yes, open AirPort Utility, click the AirPort Utility menu just to the right of the Apple icon in the upper left corner of the screen and then click About AirPort Utility.  What version of AirPort Utility do you have?

I have version 5.5.3

Open AirPort Utility, select the Time Capsule and click Manual Setup

Click the Internet icon, then click the Internet Connection tab

Connect Using should read Ethernet

Connection Sharing should read Share a public IP address. If it does not, change it to read as such

Click Update and wait 30 seconds for the Time Capsule to restart

Power off the cable modem, Time Capsule and all other network devices

Wait 10 minutes

Power up the modem first and let it run by itself for a full minute

Power up the Time Capsule the same way

Power up other devices the same way until everything is powered back up

Check the network again to see if multiple devices can connect.

Screen Shot 2012-06-09 at 11.00.26 PM.png

Thanks, I'll give it a try and see what happens.  I'll let you know in about 15-20 minutes if it worked.

Your solution worked great!  Thank you so much.  I was trying to fix this for several days and failed to think of that.