Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Since iOS 5.0.2 update, on Apple TV 3 - I can't change DNS setting?

ATV3 won't save DNS setting when entered manually (to use DNS redirect service). Only happened after recent update to 5.0.2.

Any input would be most appreciated

AppleTV 2

Posted on Jun 9, 2012 10:43 PM

7 replies

Jun 10, 2012 6:53 AM in response to Winston Churchill

Well, there are many reasons you would want to change yoru DNS settings. Perhaps you know of a better DNS server than the one your provider give you. I split my time between Europe and the U.S. my cable Internet provide in the EU is horrible and everytime my internet is down it is because of their DNS servers so I use the open Google DNS servers which I set myself. But you would have to be a network engineer Winston to understand DNS fully and all about dns caching etc......

JJJ if you have the option to change the DNS in your router I would recommend doing it there and then the Apple TV will obtain the address you provide. You should be able to still have DHCP from your provider with entering manual DNS. Use your prefered DNS as primary and then the providers as secondary.

Winston here again you assume Apple is perfect and your advice falters.

Jun 10, 2012 11:29 PM in response to Winston Churchill

Thanks for your advice guys, I have solved it. After you change the DNS and click done you are view the settings. The DNS settings you just entered doesn't appear (even though you've changed it). It appears as a number and letter format (looks like a machines mac address actually). It is changed, just not displayed and works perfectly.

JJ

Jun 12, 2012 12:13 PM in response to JJJSydney

Winston you did not ask why he wanted to change it.

"I haven't actually checked this out myself, but why would you want to change the DNS settings. Perhaps Apple have locked the DNS settings in some way to stop you changing them as they have constantly recommended that you only use the DNS settings provided by your Internet provider."

You told him perhaps Apple did this on purpose. I have ignored your arrogance on just about every post.

Since iOS 5.0.2 update, on Apple TV 3 - I can't change DNS setting?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.