Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

pci express

Hi there,

I came in mac world from little time with a bargain Mac Pro 3,1.

I upgrade memory, VGA with Radeon 5770HD, Hard Disk -SSD with Leopard and 4 tera HD. Buy some software and want start to replace my PC win with this fantastic machine for sound working.

I would be put an e-sata card or /and a Black Magic video editing card but, I have only PCI express slot.

What can I do?

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8), pci express

Posted on Jun 10, 2012 4:24 AM

5 replies

Jun 10, 2012 7:21 AM in response to pabale

Yes. All the slots are x16 size PCI Express, but any PCI Express card will fit (most will be much smaller, and will fit in the right-hand edge of the slot, as you see with the card you have in slot 3.

Just make sure that you use the correct speed slot for your Blackmagic card. You have two x4 and one x16 available. I don't know what speed the Intensity needs.

Matt

Jun 10, 2012 8:06 AM in response to pabale

you have PCIe 2.0

your GT 120 is a rarer single , not double slot wide, graphic card - the ATI 5770 and most are double width

look up specs for your model on site like everymac.com and of course specs and manuals from Apple

www.apple.com/support/macvpro and go to Early 2008 3,1 page

Apple only says that there is 75W per slot and there are two add'l 6-pin power cable plugs for cards that need more than the 75W.

It is rather "hidden in plain site" as far as your hardware specs go.

pci express

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.