Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't set icon view >128 in Automator

Trying to set view of all subfolders of a multi-thousand image folder to 180 x 180, and yet Automator (in Snow Lep) doesn't seem to allow anything above 128:

User uploaded file

Am I missing the boat?

Posted on Jun 10, 2012 1:50 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 10, 2012 2:16 PM

It looks like a limitation of that version of the action (v1.0), which dates back to Leopard. The Lion version (v1.1) goes up to 512.

8 replies

Jun 12, 2012 5:20 AM in response to devil-doll

It seems a trivial fix is needed to make the action work as desired under Snow Leopard.

First, close Automator and make a back-up copy of the action (just in case you need it again). You'll find the action at

/System/Library/Automator/Set Folder Views.action

Then navigate to

/System/Library/Automator/Set Folder Views.action/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/main.nib/keyedobjects.nib

Open keyedobjects.nib in a text editor. (TextWrangler works well.)

Locate these lines:

<key>NSMaxValue</key>

<real>128</real>

Change 128 to 512. Save.

A five-minute test suggests that this file modification does the job.

Sep 13, 2012 9:26 PM in response to mns579

mns579, that was a great solution to the Snow Leopard 128x128 icon size limit problem - thanks!

I had been wanting to be able to use Automator's Set Folder Views to go all the way up to 512x512 for a long time, and was quite frustrated you couldn't do it.

I understand by the earlier post that they finally fixed this in Lion, but I'm not anywhere near ready to go to Lion (or Mountain Lion) for the reason that I still have a few important Power PC apps I need to run. (Grrrrr!!!)

After trying your solution and seeing that it worked, I was still a little perplexed that you couldn't set some specific values like 256x256 using the slider. But after messing around with TextWrangler a bit more, and following a procedure similar to yours I did this:

Locate these lines (just slightly below the ones you mentioned):

<key>NSNumberOfTickMarks</key>

<integer>15</integer>

Change 15 to 32. Save.

This provides much more flexibility with the slider. I chose 32 because it's a good 'even' number, and gives you increments of 16. After that it was easy to select 256 and many other values.

Just thought I'd share that 🙂

Can't set icon view >128 in Automator

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.