Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

TekSavvy Cable Internet & Double NAT error

Good evening,

I'm hoping that someone's been in a similar boat or has a few tips that could fix this. I've just recently switched from Rogers High Speed Internet to TekSavvy Internet. I'll go ahead and give you the network info...

Cable Modem: Thomson DCM476

Airport Extreme running 7.6.1

Airport Express running 6.3

MacBook running 10.6.8

Mac Mini running 10.7.4

I switched from Roger to TekSavvy this past week... had Rogers for > 1 year and everything worked smoothly. Switched occured this past Thursday and ever since, I've had problems with Double NAT & No DNS error... let's just say that watching streaming video has become a tedious process of having to get up every 5-10 minutes or so to restart the clip (ie. watching TV shows on CTV.ca for example) is a task I wish on no one!

I contacted TekSavvy support and they've basically said "NOT OUR PROBLEM. FIGURE IT OUT". To be honest, I was floored. Not the type of service I was expecting from what was a tons of referrals from friends and acquaintances.

I googled a few variants but nothing appears to stick out in terms of steps to fix/resolve this issue.

AirPort Extreme 802.11n (4th Gen)

Posted on Jun 10, 2012 3:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 10, 2012 5:30 PM

Anytime you change ISPs or networking hardware, it is always a good idea to perform a complete power recycle of your networking components.

I would recommend that you do the following as a minimum:

• Power-down the modem, AirPort base station, and computer(s).
  • Disconnect the AirPort base station from the Internet broadband modem.
  • While all of the devices are powered-down, perform a "factory default" reset on the base station. This will get it back to its "out-of-the-box" configuration and make setting it up much easier, especially if you use the "Assist me" process within the AirPort Utility. (ref: Resetting an AirPort Base Station or Time Capsule)
  • After the base station resets, go ahead and power it back down.
  • Reconnect the AirPort base station to the Internet broadband modem. For the Extreme and Time Capsule, be sure to connect the cable to the base station's WAN (circle-of-dots) port.
  • Power-up the modem; wait at least 10-15 minutes to allow it adequate time to initialize.
  • Power-up the AirPort base station; wait at least 5-10 minutes. Note: The AirPort's status light may continue to flash amber after it has intialized. That is because, there may be some additional configuration items necessary, like setting up wireless security, before the overall setup is completed to get a green status.
  • Power-up your computer(s).

In this basic configuration, the AirPort base station will broadcast an unsecured wireless network with a Network Name (SSID) of Apple Network NNNNNN. Network clients, connected to the base station either by wire or wireless, should now be able to access the Internet through the ISP's modem. Once Internet connectivity has been verified, you can use the AirPort Utility to configure the base station for wireless security and any other desired options. Please post back your results.

23 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 10, 2012 5:30 PM in response to riverdale1974

Anytime you change ISPs or networking hardware, it is always a good idea to perform a complete power recycle of your networking components.

I would recommend that you do the following as a minimum:

• Power-down the modem, AirPort base station, and computer(s).
  • Disconnect the AirPort base station from the Internet broadband modem.
  • While all of the devices are powered-down, perform a "factory default" reset on the base station. This will get it back to its "out-of-the-box" configuration and make setting it up much easier, especially if you use the "Assist me" process within the AirPort Utility. (ref: Resetting an AirPort Base Station or Time Capsule)
  • After the base station resets, go ahead and power it back down.
  • Reconnect the AirPort base station to the Internet broadband modem. For the Extreme and Time Capsule, be sure to connect the cable to the base station's WAN (circle-of-dots) port.
  • Power-up the modem; wait at least 10-15 minutes to allow it adequate time to initialize.
  • Power-up the AirPort base station; wait at least 5-10 minutes. Note: The AirPort's status light may continue to flash amber after it has intialized. That is because, there may be some additional configuration items necessary, like setting up wireless security, before the overall setup is completed to get a green status.
  • Power-up your computer(s).

In this basic configuration, the AirPort base station will broadcast an unsecured wireless network with a Network Name (SSID) of Apple Network NNNNNN. Network clients, connected to the base station either by wire or wireless, should now be able to access the Internet through the ISP's modem. Once Internet connectivity has been verified, you can use the AirPort Utility to configure the base station for wireless security and any other desired options. Please post back your results.

Jun 10, 2012 7:53 PM in response to Tesserax

Followed the instructions to the T ... it's been about 45 minutes since I'm back up... so far, so good. I'll keep an eye out on it tomorrow. The only thing I haven't done yet is to configure the Airport Express... will do that tomorrow and post results!

Thank you :-)

Murphy's law... the minute that I say it's going alright, the dreaded No DNS Servers and Double NAT error return! :-(

Message was edited by: riverdale1974

Jun 10, 2012 9:51 PM in response to riverdale1974

TekSavvy

Not a very big company... as I've hardly dealt with them. However...

Double NAT tells me you are not using Brdige mode, and that we already have translation being done upstream. The DNS issue should be resolved after the PROPER modem power-cycle.

Your issuess should still be easily solved, unless TekSavvy is using outdated PPPoE junk like AT&T tends to use.

I would do a factory reset of your router and set it up in bridge mode. Also, if you have an iphone or iPad you could use this to generally set up your router automatically.. which would prevent you from selecting wrong options.

Jun 17, 2012 6:02 PM in response to riverdale1974

I'll be very interested in hearing how you make out as I seem to have a very similar issue. I also recently switched from Rogers to TekSavvy and keep getting double Nat and no DNS server error messages.

Cable Modem: Thomson DCM476

Airport Extreme running 7.6.1

2.4GHz Mac Book running 10.7.4 (13 inch, Aluminum, Late 2008)

- I've followed Tesserax's reboot procedure a few times to no avail.

- I have also tried running AE in bridged mode and loose internet connectivity.

- I can't seem to access the Thomson DCM476 internet setup to see how the modem is setup and if their is an issue there.

- I've purged my MacBook from all previously saved Rogers connection preferences etc.; no change.

- I've searched forums high and low for simple instructions on how to get this issue resolved and am still stumped.

This is quite a pesky problem as I still have service, albeit sporadically.

Jun 17, 2012 6:19 PM in response to riverdale1974

You can log into the Thompson modem by using this IP http://192.168.100.1/ ... the diagnostic & event log are there... might help you when speaking to tech support. Just don't mention that you're connected using any kind of router otherwise, they'll hand you Apple's tech support # which, IMHO, is a sad way to handle a client issue.

After speaking with TekSavvy and doing some troubleshooting, they believe it's a network issue and have assigned the ticket back to Rogers. My appointment is tomorrow afternoon... hoping that it gets sorted out. I'll be sure to keep you posted.

Jun 20, 2012 9:07 AM in response to riverdale1974

Rogers tech finally dropped by. They'd disconnected me from the panel (hence the loss of 2 days of service). The tech reconnected me and said "goodbye" ... I asked him to stay to show him I could reproduce the original issue... and I did. He said it was a modem issue.

Call back TekSavvy... long story short, apparently, they're having issues with some of the DCM476 units and are shipping me a replacement DCM475 which should arrive in 3-5 days. I'm hoping that the replacement modem fixes the issue... tbh, it's the ONLY piece of equipment that's been swapped from my Rogers setup when everything worked A-OK.

RSMRSM, I did mention that I *knew* someone else that experienced the same issue... you should call it in. They'll likely dispatch a tech but in the end, you'll probably get a replacement modem (DCM475). I'll post back once I get the new modem... hoping that this will solve the problem.

At least now, someone can Google the problem and see what the solution/ouctome is and know it's most likely not their Apple equipment!

Jun 22, 2012 6:10 AM in response to riverdale1974

I got the replacement modem (DCM475) last night and hooked it up. I've been running problem free since 7:35pm last night (since I hooked it up). I'll be asking for a credit from the install date (2 weeks) & certainly get in touch with the CEO in hopes that they can better train their staff to diagnose THEIR hardware issue instead of passing the buck and saying the problem is router related.

If theynsuggest to send a tech in, I'd skip the step and just go straight for the replacement (ask for or confirm they are sending DCM475 to replace the faulty DCM476).

Jul 9, 2012 8:22 PM in response to riverdale1974

I've been terribly busy and haven't had the opportunity to provide an update on my end. The following events have occured since my last post:

1. My internet issues have continuted, intermitent service, moden cycles every ~20mins

2. I finally got to phoning teksavvy about the issue, they put me through the standard loops: power cycle modem, router, etc. checklist stuff. They told me a tech would be sent to my residence to inspect. I tried explaining to them I already knew what the problem was, didn't matter, the tech I spoke to kindly explained it was procedure.

3. Shortly after I received the following e-mail (3 Jul 12):

Hi,

We seem to be coming across more and more modem compatibility issues with Rogers network. Because of this rising issue, we are now currently out of stock of the DCM475 with the proper firmware, to replace (DCM475/DCM476) modems, under warranty, that are having these issues. More should be arriving at some point next week for us to continue this process, unless/until we find a better permanent resolution.

We understand this is frustrating, and thank you for your patience in this matter.

Regards,

TSI Tracy

4. Meanwhile I had given teksavvy 3 appointment options, a Rogers tech never showed up or even called.

5. 7 Jul 12, I get the following mesage:

Hello,

There has been a recent update on your ticket with Cable. If you are still experiencing difficulty please contact us at 1-877-357-2889.

******************************************************************************** *****

Bonjour,

Il y a eu une récente mise à jour sur votre billet. Si vous avez encore des difficultés vous pouvez nous rejoindre au 1-877-357-2889.

6. Today I called. Turns out a new modem is in the mail. They received a new shipment. I should be receiving it in 1-2 days. The tech I spoke to explained they had identified a firmware issue with DCM475 (as per previous e-mail).

Appears teksavvy has ackowledged their problem and are working to rectify it. Thankfully. I should be back online (consistently) very soon. I'm glad this seems to be getting sorted out.

Though I am still leery of these cheap modems. I fully anticipate having to replace the new junky modem, probably outside the warranty period. Not to mention after severely degraded bandwidth performance. Maybe they're are some better quality modems out there?

TekSavvy Cable Internet & Double NAT error

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.