Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Very bad battery life on iPhone 4S after iOS 5.1.1 update

I have an iPhone 4S. I bought it with iOS 5.0 on it. Then I upgraded to 5.1, then to 5.1.1. Prior to 5.1.1, I had excellent batery life, just like Apple describes it on its website. Now on 5.1.1, which I just installed 1 week ago, I have absolutely terrible battery life. I get about 3% battery drain per hour on standby. When using it, i get 1% drain every 2-3 minutes, on any app.

I have tried restoring it to factory defaults, then restoring it back to my backup, 2 times, yet still no difference. I am not a heavy user. It seems that my problems started right after 5.1.1. Anybody have any solutions to this, or is anybody expriencing the same problem?

Posted on Jun 10, 2012 4:22 PM

18 replies

Jul 13, 2012 9:16 AM in response to Silva K

Silva K wrote:

THe same thing with me! and apparently it has 40% more battery?!!? such a disappointment.

That's news to me, and to Apple. The battery in the 4S is essentially the same as the 4 (well, it has 5 mah more than the 4. That's about 0.3% greater capacity than the 4.

Rather than saying it's "such a disappointment," why don't you describe the problem you are having, so someone can help? Or look at the "more like this" messages to the right and see what problems others have had and what the solutions are? At last count there were roughly 15,000 posts on this subject already, read by 1.5 million users. Surely there is some wisdom that has been posted.

Jul 13, 2012 10:48 AM in response to boblog

This is worth discussing. There are additional features in iOS 5 that use additional power. The biggest one is iCloud, which is a Push service, and requires both bandwidth and power if you use it. There are also random battery problems that have existed in every version of iOS, and that occur more frequently right after an upgrade (any upgrade, even iOS 2 to iOS 3 for people with long memories), so it is helpful to identify whether your additional battery drain is incremental and thus due to additional features or if it is significantly greater. If the difference is substantial (i.e., the battery lasts less than a day of average use) there may be a problem that can be resolved.

Jul 23, 2012 6:50 PM in response to MysteryMan529

My iPhone 4S was working fine, and then recently, without any setting changes, the battery is draining very quickly - even with it not in use. I turned off the setting time zone in the system services setting of the location services as per some blogs, but it had no affect. I had a similar thing happen on my iphone 4, but after not using it for a long time, it started working normally again. The iphone gets very hot as well. Did anyone resolve this yet?

Jul 24, 2012 1:32 PM in response to MysteryMan529

I have had the same problem (twice) with great battery life suddenly turning to awful battery life. Could go through the day without recharging and with mega usage (one of my services is QR Code Campaigns so I always demo using my phone). It went to a couple of hours of life, with high usage, before I had to recharge.

I read through the thread(s) on the iPhone 4s battery life problem and decided the first and quickest test would be to remove some of the most recent apps I had installed.

That was the problem and Life is Good (battery life that is)!

Jul 25, 2012 5:22 PM in response to MysteryMan529

Unfortunatly the battery does drain quick but ive followed some of these methods that helped me save my battery, its not that big of a diffrence but better than before

1) charge your iphone. 100%

2)let it die completely. 0%

3)while charging, reset it by holding the sleep/wake button and home button even after it asks to turn off

4)the apple logo will appear, which means you just reset it (this does not remove any data or apps)

5) let your iphone charge completely

6) set your brightness lower

I hope this helps

Very bad battery life on iPhone 4S after iOS 5.1.1 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.