6 Replies Latest reply: Jul 23, 2012 10:46 AM by garyfromrio linda
0798chur Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I cannot read downloaded pdf files.  I get a black screen.  I updated my Adobe reader and flash to the most current but see no improvement.  Any thoughts? I am on an IMAC OS 10.6.8 but cannot upgrade this machine to Lion.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)
  • BGreg Level 6 Level 6 (17,500 points)

If you use the Apple Preview program (on your hard drive under applications), can that read the PDF file?

• 0798chur Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

The viewer only works if I actually download the document to my hard drive.   But I am trying to view the pdf files without having to save them to my hard drive unless I find them really useful.   Thanks for the suggestion however.

• dsbfromca Level 1 Level 1 (10 points)

When I try to open a pdf on my OSX 10.6.8 imac all I get is a totally black screen.  If I use Firefox I don't have the problem. This problem only happens when I click on a pdf on a website I'm veiwing using Safari.  Even worse is the total lack of any information or comment by Apple or Adobe about the issue. I've wasted hours looking. I guess Apple is pretending the issue doesn't exist.  Adobe too.   I have checked software uploads from Apple, I have all current versions.  I have downloaded current versions of Adobe's pdf plug in (three times to be sure).  I checked the "installed Plug-ins" tab in the Safari Help tab.  Don't know what I'm supposed to look for there or what to do with it if I were to find it.  I hate to quit using Safari over this, but I'm tired of having to go off to Firefox to open stuff I find via Safari browser that I want to look at.  Help anyone?

• 0798chur Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Thanks.   I had totally moved away from Firefox but clearly Safari is deficient in this area.   Appreciated your help!

• paschkem79 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I am having the same problem (PDF files not opening in Safari) and cannot find resolution for this. What works?

• garyfromrio linda Level 2 Level 2 (270 points)

Read this discussion and I am sure you will find your answer

https://discussions.apple.com/message/18150696#18150696