Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro 8,3 - 3 beeps w/16GB Super Talent RAM

About 2 months ago, I upgraded my 17" MBP 8,3 to 16GB of RAM. The exact specs are:

2 x Super Talent DDR3-1333 SODIMM 8GB Value Notebook Memory

The laptop works GREAT with the RAM installed, except for one crucial scenario. When I try to boot my 10.6 install DVD (hooked up via external USB superdrive), I get the 3 beeps signalling bad RAM. The thing is, the computer runs fine when it's in 10.6.8, and it recognizes all 16GB of RAM.

I've tried with my external superdrive (removed to install an SSD) and with an install boot USB (created with the 10.6.3 install DVD and Disk Utility). It will boot to a USB hard drive with a full OS installed on it, just not the install DVD (or USB).

Has anyone else had this issue and solved it? I know 16GB is not officially supported by Apple for the MBP 8,3; but there has to be a way to have my cake and eat it too. Thoughts?

MacBook Pro (17-inch Early 2011), Mac OS X (10.6.8), 2.3 i7, 16GB RAM, 120 SSD, 750 HDD

Posted on Jun 11, 2012 8:28 AM

11 replies

Jun 11, 2012 10:14 AM in response to EEaudio08

I do not have the hardware to set up a configuration similar to your situation so I cannot experiment. I found a discussion. a link which I posted before, but it is not working for reasons unknown to me. This got me to the place I wanted you to go to:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3134000?answerId=15466494022#15466494022

If this fails again, edit the address field in the browser as shown above. If no success, let me know and I will try to give you instructions on how to find it.

Ciao.

Jun 11, 2012 10:24 AM in response to EEaudio08

No those 3 beeps are not from bad RAM. It is because the Snow Leopard DVD you are using does not have the correct drivers for your model MBP. You need a SL DVD of 10.6.7 or 10.6.8 to boot a early or late 2011 model MBP that originally came with Lion Pre-Installed. Earlier Retail SL DVDs will not work.

Right if it was bad RAM you would never get the Boot Menu screen by holdiing down the Option key. Bad RAM is Bad RAM and the system will not start at all with Bad RAM.

Jun 11, 2012 11:00 AM in response to Shootist007

That makes sense! I got my MBP open-box from MacMall, and it didn't come with an install disc, since it had Lioin pre-installed. I asked them about it, and they said it wouldn't come with an install disc since the Lion partition was a part of the HDD already.

Since I sold my 17" 2.7 dual i7 MBP that had that necessary install disc, I'm not quite sure how I'll get my hands on one now...

Thanks for the help, though! I really appreciate it!

Jun 11, 2012 11:04 AM in response to Shootist007

When I insert my 10.6.3 disk into the MBP running 10.6.8, it will boot which suggests that is not an issue. Have you tried replacing the 16 GB RAM with the original RAM as way of discounting that RAM is a problem (which I doubt). An off the wall idea that I have is to disconnect the HDD in the Optical Bay and see if that has any affect.

Ciao.

Shootist007, Note that the OP's MBP does not have Lion installed.

Jun 11, 2012 11:08 AM in response to OGELTHORPE

I don't have Lion installed. I have 10.6.8 installed. The laptop came pre-installed with Lion, and I used the USB key I created from my previous 17" MBP's install disc to install Snow Leopard on it (I don't like Lion).

So my laptop runs 10.6.8, and I want to be able to boot from a Snow Leopard install disc - or a USB created from the install disc in Disk Utility.

Jun 11, 2012 11:30 AM in response to EEaudio08

If you created a USB thumb with 10.6.8 from your older system on it then use that. Sorry but you already have 10.6.8 installed? What are you trying to do with the 10.6.3 Retail version?

Always make DMGs or copies of install discs and never let them go.

Not really sure what you want to do.

You say you installed SL with a thumb made from your old system. Where is that thumb now?

MacBook Pro 8,3 - 3 beeps w/16GB Super Talent RAM

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.