Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I recently purchased an intel mac mini with 10.7.1 installed and have no disc.

I was interested in installing windows using bootcamp since none of my mac programs work with the mini. Could someone tell me exactly what discs i would need and which version of windows is compatable?

Mac mini

Posted on Jun 11, 2012 11:50 AM

6 replies

Jun 12, 2012 11:37 AM in response to a brody

I have backed up everything and I guess I should have been a little clearer. I was running pro tools, reason, and a few other programs on my old e-mac without a problem (which was apparently power pc, since when I try to install them on the mini it tells me power pc programs are not compatable) so I know the programs will not run using the mac discs. So I was going to try and install windows vista using bootcamp on the mini. It seems that I have bootcamp version 4.0.3. I was trying to figure out if I would need an os x disc, and if so which one. And if vista is compatable with bootcamp 4.0.3

Jun 14, 2012 8:11 PM in response to expertees

If your Mac Mini had Snow Leopard originally installed, you could have installed Windows Vista into BootCamp and it would still have worked upon your upgrade to Lion. If it is worth the effort (and your Mac Mini originally worked with Snow Leopard), you could backup, downgrade, install Windows Vista and then upgrade to Lion and restore your backups.

As to BootCamp 4.0.3:

"3. Which versions of Windows work with Boot Camp 4.0?

You can use Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Microsoft Windows 7 Professional, or Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate with Boot Camp 4.0. Windows XP and Windows Vista are not supported with Boot Camp 4.0. "

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4818#3

Otherwise, you will need a program such as Parallels 7 to run Microsoft Windows Vista. I have the mid-2011 Mac Mini, which came with Lion pre-installed, but I was able to create a Windows XP environment inside of Parallels 7:

User uploaded file

Using the same installation of Parallels 7 you can install Snow Leopard (with Rosetta) into Parallels 7 and run that in Lion and have access to your PowerPC applications:

User uploaded file

[click on either image to enlarge]

Full Snow Leopard installation instructions are here:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1365439

I recently purchased an intel mac mini with 10.7.1 installed and have no disc.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.