Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

permission to access files in Time machine

I am trying to restore photoshop files I created and seem to have erased by mistake. For some of the files Time Machine gives me the following message :

The opreation cannot be completed because you don't have permission to access " filename"

I created these files and they are important and I do not know what else to do to retrieve them.

I work with OS 10.6.8 on an Intel iMac.

Thank you

Posted on Jun 11, 2012 1:10 PM

4 replies

Jun 12, 2012 1:28 PM in response to lilijifu

Thank you baltwo and Pondini for your suggestions.

I tried the E10 but it did not work and turned out to be more complicated than the solution I had found

while waiting.

Still trying to resolve it myself I found that all the instances where I received the « no permission » message involved folders. I then opened the folders, did a « select all » to select the individual files, thinking that maybe only one file was causing the problem and therefore trying to isolate it. I then did a « Restore » and it worked. I had to choose a location but all the files were restored. All I had left to do was to put them back in a folder.

Not very sophisticated, I guess, but I have the end result I wanted and learned a new trick.

Aug 19, 2015 4:13 AM in response to lilijifu

I had the same issue today.

I needed to restore a series of folders from TimeMachine. Each time I tried it gave the "do not have permissions for <FileName>" error.

I looked at the permissions for the relevant files in TimeMachine, and I looked at them directly in the Finder view of the TimeMachine drive, and in both cases my account had full Read and Write privileges - but it still wouldn't work. I wasn't getting a 'fetching' or 'unknown' permissions.

After half an hour googling around I gave up and went to my SuperDuper backup drive and simply dragged the folders from that drive back to my main drive.

It pays to have different backup strategies running concurrently. It would have been a disaster if I lost these folders.

permission to access files in Time machine

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.