Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

OpenGL update in mountain lion?

I could had swore a few weeks ago when I was reading the feature set of mountain lion and at the bottom of the page was a highlight about an update to the OSX graphics libraries (something to that effect). However, the WWDC concluded without a single mention of OpenGL. Has that effort been put off until some future update?

Posted on Jun 11, 2012 1:46 PM

6 replies

Jul 26, 2012 3:16 PM in response to Kenp21

Sadly, OpenGL has not been updated. I had also read that ML would be up to the OpenGL 4.2 standard. I bought ML, and no, there has been no improvement in the graphics area. Apple used to be known for graphics and sound. This may change if they continue on this above par path. OpenGL 4.2 came out in 2011. I play games, and I can't understand why these features were not implemented.

Aug 24, 2012 10:43 AM in response to Vatch

I have a MBP 2011, I buy this thinking of doing some opengl 3/4 later, now that I need it, I cannot use it, only 2.1 is supported on my MBP, I am still on lion, I wont go to mountain lion since they are nothing really new in it, just the name and some dummy new apps that I dont care.

Today I called Appel Care support and asked for the lastest driver, Its sound like the new MBP support 4.2, but I am not 100% sure with mountain lion, I asked for an appointment in Apple store, I want they replace my MBP 2011 with a new retina that support the latest opengl driver.

ITs a feature that my computer is supposed to support, so its a apple problem, they need to change my MBP unless they release the new driver, but that will never append...

The only way to use OGL 3 ou 4 is to switch to windows or linux using the ATI driver, on mac ATI does not provide any driver, only handled by Apple, since they do nothing about driver since 2010 you need to change the computer.... I guess, but that will cost more for them if everyone do like me and return their computer to get the latest one...

Aug 25, 2012 9:34 PM in response to Labidus

Yep, Apple's not doin' very well in this area anymore. I have a 2010 macbook pro that seems quite new to me. I would like to see OpenGL fully utilized to 4.2. There is no good reason to not be there fully, and it really holds macs back as far as games go. All of these new other updates (10.8.1 for example) do absolutely nothing for me, and actually only serve to slow my computer down.

Aug 26, 2012 8:22 AM in response to Vatch

Finally I was able to make the OpenGL 3.2 to work for my app I am working, OpenGL 2.1 is by default not 3.2, you need to hack to make it work, I call it hack because It should be like any other OS but with apple its always more complicated to do simple stuff coding point of view in my opinion...

But still no OpenGL 4.2, I beleive when they will release 4.2 you will still need to hack your app to support it also I am sure they will release the 4.2 for new hardware, and the old <2012 will not work even if the video card can support it...

If I change computer next time, I will go for a normal PC that cost 2-3 times less and install linux on it.

Sep 16, 2012 4:37 AM in response to Labidus

Yep, it's very discouraging. I can't understand why OpenGL has not been utilized to it's fullest extent (4.2). It is entirely backward compatible as well, so even far older computers would be able to use some parts of it. Apple is holding back their computers, and I completely understand your sentiments. I am with you. I bought a computer, not an iphone transfer device. Apple, don't forget where you came from. Remember the IIGS?

Sep 16, 2012 8:18 AM in response to Vatch

OpenGL is perhaps in one of its best opportunities in its history, because Microsoft isn't getting a good position in the mobile market, which is dominated by OpenGL ES nowadays. So please, all the companies who support OpenGL, push it, and let's corner nonstandard Microsoft gfx APIs. I really hope a standard multiplatform gfx API like OpenGL will dominate the future.

OpenGL update in mountain lion?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.