Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Encoding error during burn phase of idvd

Hello - We are experiencing a strange problem with iDVD in our computer lab. During the burn phase, we get an "error during encoding" message. I run a computer lab with 20 computers- all operating on Lion. I do not get the message all the time - We are creating movies in iMovie, then sharing to iDVD. I have tried using different discs, taking the movies from the media browser, slowing down the burn speed as well as changing to professional quality. I have also tried saving as a disc image to the desktop...but I get the same encoding error message.

Please help!

Mac mini, Mac OS X (10.6.1)

Posted on Jun 11, 2012 3:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 11, 2012 4:08 PM

First create a disk image of the iDVD project

User uploaded file

mount the disk image and play with DVD Player to separate the encoding process from the burn process.

If you can create and play a disk image then the problem is with the burning and not the encoding. Also saves some disks from being coasters.

Follow this workflow to help assure the best quality DVD video disk possible:

Once you have the project as you want it save it as a disk image via the File ➙ Save as Disk Image menu option. This will separate the encoding process from the burn process.

To check the encoding mount the disk image and launch DVD Player and play it. If it plays OK with DVD Player the encoding was good.

Then burn to disk with Disk Utility or Toast at the slowest speed available (2x-4x) to assure the best burn quality. Always use top quality media: Verbatim, Maxell or Taiyo Yuden DVD-R are the most recommended in these forums.

OT

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 11, 2012 4:08 PM in response to mrswhiteteach

First create a disk image of the iDVD project

User uploaded file

mount the disk image and play with DVD Player to separate the encoding process from the burn process.

If you can create and play a disk image then the problem is with the burning and not the encoding. Also saves some disks from being coasters.

Follow this workflow to help assure the best quality DVD video disk possible:

Once you have the project as you want it save it as a disk image via the File ➙ Save as Disk Image menu option. This will separate the encoding process from the burn process.

To check the encoding mount the disk image and launch DVD Player and play it. If it plays OK with DVD Player the encoding was good.

Then burn to disk with Disk Utility or Toast at the slowest speed available (2x-4x) to assure the best burn quality. Always use top quality media: Verbatim, Maxell or Taiyo Yuden DVD-R are the most recommended in these forums.

OT

Encoding error during burn phase of idvd

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.