Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Exported Quicktime Movie 'freeze'

I created a 36 min. iMovie file (7.94 Gb) which runs without a flaw as a Quicktime File but final files 'freeze' after been burned either in IDVD and/or Toast 3-4x on DVD. I tried to reduce the burn time from Best to 4x without a better result. Any suggestions?

iMovie '11, Mac OS X (10.6.8), iMac 4Gb

Posted on Jun 11, 2012 4:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 12, 2012 12:42 PM

Any suggestions?

Information provided is too random in nature. Provide specific information relating to actual work flow and final file that is freezing during playback.

I created a 36 min. iMovie file (7.94 Gb) which runs without a flaw as a Quicktime File but final files 'freeze' after been burned either in IDVD and/or Toast 3-4x on DVD.

A 36 minute 7.94 GB file implies a total average data rate of nearly 30 Mbps. Such a file would not be playback compatible with most DVD players if burned as a data disc. In fact, data disc burns of files having "normal" average data rates are normally exported using multipass-limited data rate-CD/DVD optimization settings to ensure the data can be played from a normal optical drive without freezing while constantly caching data for playback on a computer platform.

However, since you specifically mention using both iDVD and Toast here, I assume you may be burning the file as a standard MPEG-2/PCM (iDVD) or MPEG-2/AC3 (Toast) "authored" DVD compatible with playback on most standard commercial DVD players. In this case, iDVD would normally make a playable DVD assuming the media disc is of reasonably good manufacture no matter which "quality" setting you select. Such files would normally end up with an average playback data rate in the 4.0 to 8.0 Mbps. On the other hand, if you are using Toast to boost the data rate simply to "fill" the optical media disc with data, then it is possible you are creating discs with excessively high data rates beyond the normal playback range of many/most DVD players.

I tried to reduce the burn time from Best to 4x without a better result.

This is often a good idea—especially if you are not sure you are using 1st Class (95-100% reliability rated) media. I always use reduced burn rates for 2nd Class (75-90% reliability rated) media.

If unsure if the problem is associated with in the encoding of the files to be burned, the media involved, or the burner hardware being used, it might be a good idea to open the "image" file used for burning and play it with DVD media player app. If this file contains average data rates and plays without problem then the encoded file is probably fine but the media and/or burner may be questionable. If the burn image file contains abnormally high data rates, then your problem is more likely to be in your encoding work flow.

User uploaded file

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 12, 2012 12:42 PM in response to anook1984

Any suggestions?

Information provided is too random in nature. Provide specific information relating to actual work flow and final file that is freezing during playback.

I created a 36 min. iMovie file (7.94 Gb) which runs without a flaw as a Quicktime File but final files 'freeze' after been burned either in IDVD and/or Toast 3-4x on DVD.

A 36 minute 7.94 GB file implies a total average data rate of nearly 30 Mbps. Such a file would not be playback compatible with most DVD players if burned as a data disc. In fact, data disc burns of files having "normal" average data rates are normally exported using multipass-limited data rate-CD/DVD optimization settings to ensure the data can be played from a normal optical drive without freezing while constantly caching data for playback on a computer platform.

However, since you specifically mention using both iDVD and Toast here, I assume you may be burning the file as a standard MPEG-2/PCM (iDVD) or MPEG-2/AC3 (Toast) "authored" DVD compatible with playback on most standard commercial DVD players. In this case, iDVD would normally make a playable DVD assuming the media disc is of reasonably good manufacture no matter which "quality" setting you select. Such files would normally end up with an average playback data rate in the 4.0 to 8.0 Mbps. On the other hand, if you are using Toast to boost the data rate simply to "fill" the optical media disc with data, then it is possible you are creating discs with excessively high data rates beyond the normal playback range of many/most DVD players.

I tried to reduce the burn time from Best to 4x without a better result.

This is often a good idea—especially if you are not sure you are using 1st Class (95-100% reliability rated) media. I always use reduced burn rates for 2nd Class (75-90% reliability rated) media.

If unsure if the problem is associated with in the encoding of the files to be burned, the media involved, or the burner hardware being used, it might be a good idea to open the "image" file used for burning and play it with DVD media player app. If this file contains average data rates and plays without problem then the encoded file is probably fine but the media and/or burner may be questionable. If the burn image file contains abnormally high data rates, then your problem is more likely to be in your encoding work flow.

User uploaded file

Exported Quicktime Movie 'freeze'

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.