Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Thunderbolt Ethernet update fail to boot?

Curious if anyone else applied todays updates to Thunderbolt and are now frozen at the gray boot screen with the apple logo and swirly circle?

I'm on an early 2011 MBP running Lion with all the latest patches/software except for the Thunderbolt update. The laptop has an SSD with whole disk encryption enabled.

I installed the patch, came back a few minutes later, there was an error saying it wasn't able to apply it.. and the machine was frozen at that point, nothin else to do. I hard rebooted, and it's in thise frozen state since.

Safe boot does not boot.

Clearing PRAM does not help.

Booting safe with verbose (shift-command-v after apple boot tone) ends with:

AppleThunderboltNHI::enablePower - turn power off, status = 0x0, result_value = 0x0

Have let it sit for 45 minutes and no change in the logs.

There is a mention a few lines prior about IOKit framework not loading due to "image not found", but unclear if that's related at all. 3 lines prior Thunderbolt mention it also says "The System bootstrapper has crashed: Trace/BPT trap: 5

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Jun 11, 2012 5:31 PM

15 replies

Jun 11, 2012 7:45 PM in response to jsueiro

Same thing here. Also see this article: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4020390?answerId=18619247022#18619247022

I just installed the thunderbolt update on my macbook pro.

After restart I got an error message saying something like, "None of the software could be installed. An unexpected error occurred."

It then offered me a restart button, which made the pop-up disappear when clicked. The computer did not restart.

After several minutes, I powered down by holding the power button. After restarting, I now get the gray screen of death when booting with kernel messages saying that the Mac OS version has "Not yet set".

Not happy about this one.

Jun 12, 2012 8:29 AM in response to nullnullop

See here: http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-57451440-263/thunderbolt-update-plaguing-ma cbook-pros-with-kernel-panics/

The problem is from a faulty driver Apple released yesterday. Apple should jump on this right away, but for now the only options for affected users is to reinstall OS X, reapply the combo updater using a second Mac, or restore from backup.

Jun 12, 2012 8:40 AM in response to michaelab

michaelab wrote:

The new adapter is only compatible with MacBook Air with Thunderbolt (mid-2011 onwards) and the new Retina MacBook Pro, so why have you all installed the update on your MBPs?

See Compatibility section: http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD463ZM/A

I've installed the update on my mid-2011 13" MBA and have had no problems at all.

Because it came up in Software Update, so we all assumed it applied to our version of OS X running on our hardware platform - nowhere did it say that it only applied to MBAs and new MBPs. If you're right about that, and I dare say you are, then I guess there's an erroneous record in an Apple database somewhere that says also apply it to systems that are not supported and that it shouldn't be applied to.

Jun 23, 2012 10:09 AM in response to trockus

My early 2011 MacBook pro just got restarted and I've got the same problem. However, the HD is locked when I try and reinstall Lion. I've tried sudo to change permissions but it's not available in terminal. Anyone kow how I can reinstall?

I do have a carbon cloned copy of my HD on my Drobo but would rather not use it.

Apple have really let people down here. Any automated software update that fries your computer? Imagine if Microsoft and done that!

Thunderbolt Ethernet update fail to boot?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.