Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't load google in safari?

For the last week or so I have not been able to load Google, Yahoo or Youtube using Safari V 5.17, sys 10.6.8 on my iMac. Everything else in Safari works fine. I can load Google, Yahoo and Youtube using Crome and Firefox so I don't think it is a network issue. I have reset safari, reinstalled it from Time Machine, deleted the cache etc.. but still can not access Google.I tried creating a new account but the same thing happened.

Anyone have any suggestions?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jun 11, 2012 5:41 PM

17 replies

Sep 15, 2017 5:00 PM in response to Bobew

I hope you got my answer to your problem yesterday, if not, where it is again. I hope everyone out there who is having the same issue finds this important answer. Go to Safari tab in your UPPER LEFT and click it. Go to PREFERENCES and click that. Then to to the GENERAL TAB that you see and click that. Then you will see a place for HOME PAGE. There is where you want to type in http://google.com/ . Type that EXACTLY as I said. DO NOT FORGET to type in the .com/ if you do you will continue having the same problems. I don't know why if you only type in google or http://google it won't work; all I know is the way I said to type it in does. Let everyone know on this site that this does work as it is so simple and saves so much aggravation.

Jun 11, 2012 5:45 PM in response to Bobew

HI..

tried creating a new account but the same thing happened.

When you see the same issues in multiple user accounts, it can be an indication that the startup disk needs repairing.

From your admin account, launch Disk Utility located in /Applications/Utilities

Select the startup disk on the left then click First Aid.

Cliick Verify Disk (not Verify Disk Permissions)

If necessary, click Reapair Disk.

Using Disk Utility to verify or repair disks

Sep 11, 2012 8:30 AM in response to Linc Davis

UNBELIEVEABLE! I started having problems with google.com, gmail, etc hanging/taking FOREVER to load in Safari, but not in Chrome.... Don't ask me why, but I decided to download/reinstall Safari 5.0.6 [OSX 10.5.8].

Seems to have helped (intermittently), then same scenario. I spent hours looking at solutions until trying the IPv6 setting to "Off" (it was "Auto"). SO SIMPLE....Thanks, Linc!

Can't load google in safari?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.