Previous 1 2 3 Next 212 Replies Latest reply: Mar 9, 2013 3:22 AM by 1GR3 Branched to a new discussion.
Mitchla Level 1 (0 points)

I have a one year old MBP.  A few minutes ago I installed the Thunderbolt Update that Apple released today.  At the conclusion of the update, it said it had failed to install and that I needed to restart the Mac.  On doing so, I got a kernel panic.  And now every time I try to boot, I get a kernel panic.  I'm dead.  Ideas?

Thanks.

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.2)
  • Sir Atilla Level 1 (15 points)

I had the same issue on similar hardware so I booted off a external drive and reapplied 10.4 and the machine was back in order. 

• MrE_the_Great Level 1 (0 points)

I had the same issue...twice.  After the thunderbolt update fails I click restart and end up with a kernel panic...nable to boot.  I was able to recover without any other hardware, thankfully, so I tried the update again.  Same results and am recovering for the second time.  I'm running lion.

Steps follow:

1) Reboot the machine while holding in command-r (this boots to recovery partition and disk utility)

2) I chose reinstall Mac OSX next

3) Enter your apple ID to confirm eligibility.

4) MBP will start a recovery install on the hdd you selected, it will not remove your personal files or account.  After this reinstall, I was up and running again as if I skipped the thunderbolt update...until I tried the update again.

Thought I'd offer this while I wait for. One to recover again.  Good luck.

• joelmercer Level 1 (0 points)

Same problem here. I have a an early 2011 13" MBP. I downloaded the update. Reboot, got the panic.

I tried to repair permissions but it didn't help.

I'm trying to reinstall Lion now but it isn't downloading the software. I'm dead in the water here.

• MrE_the_Great Level 1 (0 points)

Mine hung for a handful of minutes before showing it was downloading anything...just sat there on "downloading additional components"

Then estimated time appeared and things slowly started moving.  Hope that helps.

• Linc Davis Level 10 (192,860 points)

What backups do you have?

• joelmercer Level 1 (0 points)

I'll wait it out. I'm guessing apple servers are just busy.

I'll reinstall and then not update until I hear from apple.

Once I'm back up I'll post a picture of the panic I got.

• Larry Gordon Level 1 (0 points)

The thunderbolt update failed and computer would not restart - kernal failure - needed to reinstall lion from lion boot partition and then do updates but skipped the thunderbolt one - lots of postings on apples support boards.

• murrayE Level 1 (40 points)

Same issue - kernel panic on attempting restart - on my mid-2011 iMac. Doing an OS X Lion reinstall via recovery partition now. Will report results later.

• rex wilson Level 1 (75 points)

exact same problem here. Update fails with an error message, then a restart causes kernel panic. Only recourse is to reinstall from recovery drive.

Macbook Pro 13" 2.7GHz i7.

Looks like Apple messed this one up pretty good.

• Tops Blooby Level 1 (0 points)

I had the same thing happen.

installed thunderbolt update.

it gave an error saying it couldnt install - click to restart.

hangs at the gray screen

powered off manually

kernel panic

re-installed Lion with the recovery tool

tried the update again - same exact issue

re-installing Lion again.

I guess i won't install the update this time around. what a waste of time.

• bigman2905 Level 1 (0 points)

I'm stuck in the same **** on my 2011 iMac... Reinstalling Lion

• murrayE Level 1 (40 points)

murrayE wrote:

Same issue - kernel panic on attempting restart - on my mid-2011 iMac. Doing an OS X Lion reinstall via recovery partition now. Will report results later.

Of course, reinstall of Lion seems to have fixed things. Except I dare not try to install the Thunderbolt update until there's a publicized fix.

I did one update from the App Store without incident - before the fatal Software Update attempt. Anybody get other updates to work OK, via App Store, e.g., iPhoto?

iphoto from software update worked fine for me

Growl for app store also just worked fine

Previous 1 2 3 Next