Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Lion update today crashed MacBook Pro

Help! I software update and found there was one for my MacBook Pro. I went through the normal motions and got an error message saying that iPhoto download had a problem. The screen said to re download which would probably fix the problem. It didn't! Now I get a back screen with funny writing, then a message in several languages to restart the computer. I've done this several times. Help!!!! Leaving on a busness trip tomorrow AM and need this laptop.

I had no problem downloading the update to my MacMini.

What should I do? I must have the computer tomorrow AM!

Linda

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Jun 11, 2012 5:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 11, 2012 6:02 PM

Hi Linda ...

Now I get a back screen with funny writing, then a message in several languages to restart the computer. I've done this several times

Otherwise known as a kernel panic.

Try Starting up in Safe Mode

A Safe Mode boot takes much longer than a normal boot so be patient. Once you see the Desktop, click the Apple menu icon top left in the screen. From the drop down menu click Restart.

Disconnect any peripherals before booting in Safe Mode.

57 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 11, 2012 6:02 PM in response to Linda Jenkins

Hi Linda ...

Now I get a back screen with funny writing, then a message in several languages to restart the computer. I've done this several times

Otherwise known as a kernel panic.

Try Starting up in Safe Mode

A Safe Mode boot takes much longer than a normal boot so be patient. Once you see the Desktop, click the Apple menu icon top left in the screen. From the drop down menu click Restart.

Disconnect any peripherals before booting in Safe Mode.

Jun 11, 2012 11:39 PM in response to Linda Jenkins

Count me in!

WARNING! DO NOT INSTALL iPHOTO or THUNDERBOLT UPDATE UNTIL FIXED!!!

My MB PRO 2011 15'' kicked me out, no restart, HD damaged and right now restoring from my latest backup, which is unfortunately 6 days old (shame on me).

However, this one seems to be a definitive error which was produced by Apple! I am not very pleased, to say the least.

Fox

Jun 12, 2012 4:05 AM in response to Carolyn Samit

Hi Carolyn,

i noticed your posts about the crashed mac. Same thing happened to me

If I do a lion recovery, or reinstall lion but DON'T update software like thunderbolt or iphoto.. do you think this will work? (until apple announces a safe fix.... as some other threads oare suggesting)

Also, will reinstalling Lion kepp my files in tact? that is my biggest concern right now

James

Jun 12, 2012 4:34 AM in response to jwmpratt

Also confirm I have the exact same issue on 27" 2011 iMac.

Firstly fails to apply updates and then when you reboot a rather spectacular kernal panic. Am restoring from an earlier Time Machinal Backup which I assume will get me up and running again.

Unusual for an Apple update to fail so spectacularly, I wonder if we'll see update withdrawn and then reposted with fix?

Jun 12, 2012 5:02 AM in response to Linda Jenkins

Confirmed here too on my 2011 Macbook Pro. I'm on my 2nd re-install of Lion thanks to the recovery partition. This is really painful. To answer a question above, booting into the recovery partition and re-installing Lion will NOT touch your personal files and settings. Do we know exactly which update causes the failure? My suspicion is the thunder port update, but there was also an Airport Utility update and an iPhoto update in the list of updates.

Jun 12, 2012 5:11 AM in response to Linda Jenkins

Hi, I've posted this yesterday and it has worked for those that tried it. There is some bad code in that update and it is breaking Lion for everyone. So, boot to Recovery HD by holding Command-R on a restart. Then select the option to reinstall Lion. It will verify your computer and reinstall via the internet. You will need an airport connection or a cable to your router. The reinstall will take about an hour and put you into 10.7.3. It will retain all your files and prefs. Nothing will be lost. Then go to software update and you will be offered 10.7.4 and a few other updates. Go ahead and do that. You will then be back where you were, and with a brand spanking new system. Going to software update again will offer you Thunderbolt and iPhoto. DON'T DO THAT! wait for Apple to come out with a fix. Good luck.

Lion update today crashed MacBook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.