Previous 1 2 3 4 Next 58 Replies Latest reply: Jun 14, 2012 5:20 PM by crabtrem
Linda Jenkins Level 1 Level 1

Help! I software update and found there was one for my MacBook Pro. I went through the normal motions and got an error message saying that iPhoto download had a problem. The screen said to re download which would probably fix the problem.  It didn't! Now I get a back screen with funny writing, then a message in several languages to restart the computer. I've done this several times.  Help!!!!  Leaving on a busness trip tomorrow AM and need this laptop.

I had no problem downloading the update to my MacMini.

What should I do? I must have the computer tomorrow AM!

Linda

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.2)
Solved by Carolyn Samit on Jun 11, 2012 6:42 PM Solved

No. Peripherals such as printers, scanners, cameras...

Suggestion at this point is to use Lion Recovery  to repair the startup disk or reinstall Mac OS X.

You may want to hold off on that a bit to see if you get other suggestions first.

Reply by Carolyn Samit on Jun 11, 2012 6:02 PM Helpful

Hi Linda ...

Now I get a back screen with funny writing, then a message in several languages to restart the computer. I've done this several times

Otherwise known as a kernel panic.

Try Starting up in Safe Mode

A Safe Mode boot takes much longer than a normal boot so be patient. Once you see the Desktop, click the Apple menu icon top left in the screen. From the drop down menu click Restart.

Disconnect any peripherals before booting in Safe Mode.

Reply by crabtrem on Jun 14, 2012 5:20 PM Helpful

Well after that suspenseful few days I think we are back on track.  So from what I am getting, it is the update to Thunderbolt that caused the kernal panic error.  By running recovery mode most people, including myself were able to get back to normal.  I did read that someone was having problems with the recovered OS recognizing the drives or partitions involved.  I'm not sure what would cause that, but if I were to try anything it would be to try and do recovery again.  Make sure the destination for the recovery is correct.  I also went back about a day and selected the backup from there.  Today I successfully updated all software, I still did not notice an update for Thunderbolt in the selected items.  Everything seems to be working well now.  Thanks to the community for providing the timely information needed to resolve, correct, and understand this issue.  I do think Apple needs some better assistance procedures and protocols.  I don't think asking a question should be charged from the beginning, that just seems in bad form.  Especially something that is Apple's fault.

All replies

• Carolyn Samit Level 10 Level 10
    expertise.safari
    Safari

Hi Linda ...

Now I get a back screen with funny writing, then a message in several languages to restart the computer. I've done this several times

Otherwise known as a kernel panic.

Try Starting up in Safe Mode

A Safe Mode boot takes much longer than a normal boot so be patient. Once you see the Desktop, click the Apple menu icon top left in the screen. From the drop down menu click Restart.

Disconnect any peripherals before booting in Safe Mode.

• Linda Jenkins Level 1 Level 1

I tried the safe boot twice. It didn't work. Before I could release the shift key, immediately after the apple, the gibberish and restart instructions appeared on a black screen. Other suggestions?

Sorry, typo before. I should have said DIDN'T work, instead of did.

Does peripherals count WiFI?

additional info: the weird stuff on the black background starts with:

panic(cpu 0 caller 0xfffff800064ba7b) Unable to find driver for this platform:    and a bunch of other stuff...

Yes in the weird jibberish is:  Kernel version:

Darwin Kernel Version 11.4.0 Mon Apr 9 19:32:15 PM

Kernel uuid: A8ED611D-FB0F-3729-8392-E7A32C5E7D74 

also, there was an earlier statement: debuggr called  <panic>

• Carolyn Samit Level 10 Level 10
    expertise.safari
    Safari

No. Peripherals such as printers, scanners, cameras...

Suggestion at this point is to use Lion Recovery  to repair the startup disk or reinstall Mac OS X.

You may want to hold off on that a bit to see if you get other suggestions first.

• Metakill Level 1 Level 1

Same issue and can't get into safe mode. What is apple going to do about this update?

• dsimagry Level 4 Level 4

Others having the same problem, on another post...

https://discussions.apple.com/message/18619805#18619805

• AlienCamel.com Level 2 Level 2

Confirmed.

Definitely some bad code in there somewhere. Toasted my boot loader. Had to reinstall Lion.

• Foxboy71 Level 4 Level 4

Count me in!

WARNING! DO NOT INSTALL iPHOTO or THUNDERBOLT UPDATE UNTIL FIXED!!!

My MB PRO 2011 15''  kicked me out, no restart, HD damaged and right now restoring from my latest backup, which is unfortunately 6 days old (shame on me).

However, this one seems to be a definitive error which was produced by Apple! I am not very pleased, to say the least.

Fox

• jwmpratt Level 1 Level 1

Hi Carolyn,

i noticed your posts about the crashed mac. Same thing happened to me

If I do a lion recovery, or reinstall lion but DON'T update software like thunderbolt or iphoto.. do you think this will work? (until apple announces a safe fix.... as some other threads oare suggesting)

Also, will reinstalling Lion kepp my files in tact? that is my biggest concern right now

James

• Nathan Hill1 Level 1 Level 1

Also confirm I have the exact same issue on 27" 2011 iMac.

Firstly fails to apply updates and then when you reboot a rather spectacular kernal panic.  Am restoring from an earlier Time Machinal Backup which I assume will get me up and running again.

Unusual for an Apple update to fail so spectacularly, I wonder if we'll see update withdrawn and then reposted with fix?

• ditt7 Level 1 Level 1

Confirmed here too on my 2011 Macbook Pro.  I'm on my 2nd re-install of Lion thanks to the recovery partition.  This is really painful.  To answer a question above, booting into the recovery partition and re-installing Lion will NOT touch your personal files and settings. Do we know exactly which update causes the failure?  My suspicion is the thunder port update, but there was also an Airport Utility update and an iPhoto update in the list of updates. 

• Ben0007 Level 1 Level 1

>> ditt7,

I think it's the Thunderbolt update. I've been searching for a fix too and lots of other people are reporting it's the Thunderbolt update.

You mention that booting into recovery and re-installing won't mess up files and stuff. How do I get into the recovery partition and re-install Lion?

Thanks.

Previous 1 2 3 4 Next