Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Instructions for Airport Utility 5.6 don't work: "version of Mac OS X is not supported"

Via Software Update, I just downloaded & installed the latest version 6.1 of Airport Utility. When I tried to use it I discovered it recognizes but doesn't support my Airport Expresses (odd in itself).

I was told to install version 5.6 to manage these older devices. So I obediently tried to install it (actually it's v. 5.6.1).

But it won't install! The Installer tells me:

"AirPort Utility can't be installed on this disk. The version of Mac OS X on this volume is not supported."

The system requirements are listed as "AirPort Utility requires Mac OS X v10.5.7, v10.5.8, v10.6 or later." I have 10.7.4.

What the heck is going on here????

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.4), 4GB, 256GB SSD

Posted on Jun 11, 2012 10:44 PM

8 replies

Jun 12, 2012 2:06 AM in response to G Robert Lewis

Exactly the same problem here.

Using my two TimeCapsules and a newer version of Airport Express with latest version of Airport Utility (V6.1) under OS X 10.7.4. without problems. But today I wanted to reactivate an older Airport Express and AirPort Utility 6.1 tells me to install AirPort Utility 5.6. to configure my older Airport Express.

But AirPort Utility (5.6.1 downloaded from Apple Support today) can't be installed under OS X 10.7.4. So how do I configure my 'older' AirPort Express now?

Or am I supposed to just trash that not really old AirPort Express and buy a new one?

Jun 12, 2012 6:07 AM in response to G Robert Lewis

Try this one until they fix it:

AirPort Utility 5.6 for Lion: AirPort Utility 5.6.

If that does not work:

AirPort Utility for Leopard, Snow Leopard: AirPort Utility 5.5.3.

Both will run fine on OS X 10.7.4 but since I already have them installed, I do not know if the installer will object. Both will administer all Express models except for the new dual band model.

Jun 12, 2012 6:09 AM in response to G Robert Lewis

I just found i can run the airport utility on windows. With vmware it should make no difference if i run it native on my iMac or on windows. Unfortunately I only have XP which means 5.61 will not run, but earlier versions.

As to the log, you can enter an IP where it should log to - this is already set - but for the life of me I cannot find any log files under this IP (which is my iMac).

Does anybody know what the files might be called?

-Paul-

Instructions for Airport Utility 5.6 don't work: "version of Mac OS X is not supported"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.