Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No Raid card for 2012 MacPro?

No Raid Card

No thunderbolt

No USB 3

Old GPUs

... after such a long wait, I was really expecting something special. As a professional photographer I feel a little deflated. I have been a fan of Apple's extraordinary innovation for as far back as I can remember ... so the feeling of being disappointed by the company is a new experience. But life goes on!

MacPro, Mac OS X (10.6.4)

Posted on Jun 12, 2012 2:10 AM

4 replies

Jun 12, 2012 5:33 AM in response to ricsyme

I blame Intel for tocking too big a bite in the reduced die and complex chips. I blame Nvidia for somewhat the same. They have had to deal with heat and yields and firmware. Drivers and issues with GTX 670/80/90's. Having it all come toether and be ready together. A perfect storm.

zMeans more time for development and pushes the next window into a "mature" 10.8 (or maybe Lion was never designed to be ready? matiing the software to hardware so tightly).

Sandy Bridge-E may have been 2nd choice also.

But no the Apple RAID card is something a few of us have cautioned users after the first flush of exposure and disappointment going back to March 2007 (and of course was $995 then).

Jun 12, 2012 7:25 AM in response to ricsyme

At least PCI Express to USB 3 cards exist. And if you think about it, at least an accidental trip of the USB 3 cable won't bring the whole motherboard into repair for a Mac Pro. That would be much more costly. That's one advantage the Mac Pro has over any other Mac, is that the PCI Express card based expansion allows other connectivity not to sacrifice the logicboard.

No Raid card for 2012 MacPro?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.