Skip navigation

HT5296: Aperture 3.3: How to use Aperture to merge iPhoto libraries

Learn about Aperture 3.3: How to use Aperture to merge iPhoto libraries

HT5296 Merging iPhoto library into Aperture in the new Aperture 3.3?

4604 Views 20 Replies Latest reply: Jul 21, 2012 7:47 AM by scfc1905 RSS
1 2 Previous Next
Kim Hill1 Level 2 Level 2 (160 points)
Currently Being Moderated
Jun 12, 2012 5:23 AM

Having trouble merging my (one) iPhoto library into Aperture. The idea is to merge both the iPhoto library and the Aperture library into a "single, unified Aperture library" that iPhoto can also read (new feature as of Aperture 3.3 and iPhoto 9.3).

The tech note for doing it is here:

Aperture 3.3: How to use Aperture to merge iPhoto libraries

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5296

Summary

If you have Aperture 3.3 or later and iPhoto 9.3 or later, you can use Aperture to merge multiple iPhoto libraries together to create a single unified library with all your photos. You can then continue to use the unified library in both iPhoto and Aperture.

To merge the libraries:

1. Open Aperture 3.3 or later.
  2. Click the File menu and choose Library > Switch to Library > Other/New. Use the library selector to choose one of the iPhoto libraries you'd like to merge.
  3. Choose File > Import > Library
  4. Select one of the remaining iPhoto libraries you wish to merge.
  5. Repeat steps 3-4 for each additional iPhoto library you wish to merge.

I've followed steps 1 & 2 (BTW I had already opened the iPhoto library in 9.3 and closed it as recommended), but step 3 - when I "Choose File > Import > Library," I just get a standard open file dialog, and the iPhoto library is grayed out. Not too surprising, considering that this is the library that's already open in Aperture.

So, import is not possible.

Anybody done this? It appears to me that the documentation is faulty...

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.4)
  • Dirk Blink Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I have exactly the same problem: grayed out and hence inaccessible iPhoto library. I did the upgrading of iPhoto library after moving to iPhoto 9.3.

Any assistance most welcome.

• Clem Level 3 Level 3 (550 points)

Hi Kim,

The first library you open will act as a base, or primary library, into which all other libs will be merged.  Since you opened the lib you can't imprt it into itself. :).  Pick your second or third lib and import those to merge with the first.

Or am I misreading what you did above?  Please post back and we can get ya sorted.

Cheers

Clem

• Frank Caggiano Level 7 Level 7 (22,745 points)

4. Select one of the remaining iPhoto libraries you wish to merge.

As clem noted you open the first iPhoto library in Aperture and then combine any other libraries. If you only have one library then you're done.

Please read step 4. It specifically tells you to open your remaining iPhoto libraries.

Do you have any other iPhoto libraries to open apart from the one you switched to?

Ok if you only have one iPhoto library and you want to merge that into an existing Aperture library these aren't the instructions for you.

The instructions state:

you can use Aperture to merge multiple iPhoto libraries together to create a single unified library with all your photos.

So this is how you combine multiple iPhoto libraries together.

To combine one iPhoto library into an existing Aperture library do:

Make sure the iPhoto library had been opened in iPhoto 9.3

Make sure the Aperture library has been updated by  Aperture 3.3

Open Aperture and the library as you normally do.

Go to File->Import library and select the iPhoto library you want to merge.

Follow the instructions on screen.

Note as this is all very new I highly recommend you have backups of both the Aperture and iPhoto libraries before doing this.

regards

• Dirk Blink Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Also in my case, there is only one iPhoto library (as stated, greyed out). The icon for this library is a blank (page); not as in the case of the Aperture Library, the relevant (Aperture) icon.

If I go to 'Get Info' for the iPhoto Library, it shows me as the default application to open it: Terminal. The size is: 1.07 GB (I have only 380 photos in iPhoto).

If I go to 'Get Info' for the Aperture Library, it shows me as the default application to open it: Aperture. The Aperture Library is empty. The size of the libarry is: 145 MB.

Perhaps this info helps?

Have you opened the iPhoto lbrary in iPhoto 9.3?

Look this  is really a bad time to be debating the worth of Apple's tech notes

The note you read is for combining multiple iPhoto libraries into one using Aperture. I suppose it is aimed at a user who has multiple iPhoto libraries and just now bought Aperture and wants to combine them all and use Aperture.

In your case if you have been using Aperture and have an Aperture library you want to combine an iPhoto library into follow the instructions I gave above.

Keep in mind if this iPhoto library was the library you imported into Aperture at some point in the past you'll probably going to have duplicates.

And as I wrote above as this is all extremely new please make sure you have working backups of both libraries.

regards

If my latest theory is correct, this will fail, because your iPhoto images will lose their iPhoto-specific information (albums, etc.) once they're in the Aperture library.

As of 3.3 ad 9.3 there is only one library structure. Even if you never open an iPhoto library in Aperture once it is opened in iPhoto 9.3 it will be in this new unified format.

As of 3.3 and 9.3 there is no longer any sense in talking about an Aperture library and an iPhoto library, there is just one library, a photo library, that both program can read and interpret as they wish.

It doesn't matter if you never open a library you have now that is only being used with iPhoto, once you open it with iPhoto 9.3 it will be modified into this unified format.

1 2 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.