Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

.Ppt file access via SMB share on Lion Server

Hi All,

I have seen the above issue on another discussion - https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3767002?start=0&tstart=0. However no one seemed to provide a work around or solution so wanted to re-open the case as it were.

The issue we have is when a user saves a .ppt file from Keynote on iPad to our WebDav share, this file cannot be opened via SMB on a windows machine the user recieves the following message ... "PowerPoint was unable to open or save this document. Please ensure that you have access privileges to read or write the document"

All other file types saved to the WebDav share work fine over SMB ... .doc, .xls etc. The file can be re-opened on a iPad via Webdav and works fine on our Lion Server as well.

The issue is not to do with file permissons as the error message may suggest; other file types with identical permission open fine for the same user.

On the above discussion it was mentioned that if the .ppt files are converted to .pptx they work fine however because Keynote for iPad can only export a presentation as .ppt this option is not available in our circumstance.

I have also upgraded our Lion Server from 10.7.3 to 10.7.4 without any results, even though SMB bug fixes are mentioned in the release notes.

The only work around I currently have is to copy the files off the SMB file share to the users local HDD and then they open fine but as you can no doubt understand this is not a practical solution.

Hope someone can help or give advice

Many thanks for reading,

Josh

Mac mini, Mac OS X (10.7.4), Mac OS X Server 10.7.4

Posted on Jun 12, 2012 6:29 AM

3 replies

.Ppt file access via SMB share on Lion Server

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.