Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Thunderbolt update crashes iMac — big time!

This morning I went on my usual update spree — and I seriously wish I hadn't done that.

After installing a bunch of updates; inluding iPhoto, iTunes and iMovie; the culprit seems to be the Thunderbolt thing. After the installation a message came up that none of the updates could be installed. There's only a Restart-Button — that doesn't restart the iMac. The screen has its grey login background and the Mac is stalled.

About 10 minutes later I turned off the iMac and then turned it back on again. What lead to an instant Kernel Panic.

I then reinstalled Lion from the Recovery HD, installed all the updates; which included two restarts that performed fine.

In the final session there are the iPhoto and iMovie updates — and the Thunderbolt thing. Downloading and installing seems to work fine; but then I get the above mentioned message AGAIN.

Yes, I'm now reinstalling Lion for the second time today.

APPLE: FIX THIS!

Jason

Posted on Jun 12, 2012 7:09 AM

12 replies

Jun 12, 2012 8:07 AM in response to Jason Harder

Hello,

This solution is working for me. I'm currently running the updates but all my files, photos, music and applications are all there. Stupid T'bold update!

1) Hold in command-r while rebooting (or from cold start) to boot to the recovery partition.

2) Chose re-install mac osx

3) Enter appleID credentials

4) After the re-install is complete (may take a while depending on your intenet connection etc) all your files, preferences, and software will be there, you shouldn't lose anything.

5) DO NOT reattempt the Thunderbolt update. You can update the iPhoto and other updates that Software Update finds...just DO NOT check the Thunderbolt one or you will be at step one again.

Thanks to all.

Jun 13, 2012 3:00 AM in response to Jason Harder

Hi guys, (background) this is my first mac and the first issue I've had with it :( I too have grey screen after yesterday's updates unfortunately I'm at a total loss how to proceed with fixing it. I only have a Bluetooth keyboard and it is not connecting in grey screen so the machine won't start in safe mode.....I have popped in my installation disc and am now getting no option to boot from it.........do I need now to go buy/borrow a USB keyboard to try start in safe mode?

Id really appreciate any help at all

Philip

Thunderbolt update crashes iMac — big time!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.