Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

arghhh!

For the love of life and all things interesting, save us from the grey!

Is this an apple defining itself from win 8 or something?

Posted on Jun 12, 2012 7:16 AM

9 replies

Jun 12, 2012 7:31 AM in response to Gary i

Join us in the protest here:

Re: After updating to Aperture 3.3 all my icons appears in Black and white. This includes the inspect button, photo stream button, the Facebook / flicker share button. Could you please help here ?

I'd call this "broken by design". The Library items all have the same rectangular shape and are hard to distinguish without colour as added feature.

User uploaded file

Jun 12, 2012 8:16 AM in response to usernameforapplesupport

There i no reasoning behind decisions like this it's purely an OS X branding thing. Lion changed the UI to this monochrome look. When Lion first came out this as one of the biggest knocks against it, the loss of the colored icons. I imagine Mountain Lion will continue the look.

All OS X apps (especially Apple ones) have to conform to this look. It's an insane decisions, the color of the icon imparted a lot of information. Just opened a pre 3.3 version of Aperture and right off you can see what's a project, what's an album and what's a folder with just a glance. With this new look that's not possible.

Jun 12, 2012 1:39 PM in response to Magnus Lewan

I'm taking the weasel route: I, too, prefer the de-colored look (though the the trash icon is the grisaille equivalent of gaudy), but I think Frank is correct: colored icons on the Library tab of the inspector were very easy to differentiate without really looking at them. I regularly hid the toolbar (having trained my hands in the use of the shortcuts), but now there is a hitch in my mouse git-a-long when speeding towards an item on the Library tab of the Inspector.

In general, I have always found icons distracting, and slower to "read" than words -- but I already miss the icons prefacing the names on the Library tab of the Inspector.

Jun 12, 2012 3:11 PM in response to Magnus Lewan

The grey on grey is as discreet as the controls should be.

I agree as far as controls are concerned. I also want them to be unobtrusive.

Controls are always at fixed places, you can learn their position by heart. So you you only need to find their location, you do not need to be able to identify them by their look.

But that is different for endless lists of library items or Finder items. Here the positions and items change arbitrarily, as you are working with them. You regularly create, move, or delete items. To use them, you need to recognize and identify them. And so custom icoms for individual folders, albums, etc. might help, or at least very different icons for different categories. Hear colors really help - and they can be discreet as well. 🙂

Jun 12, 2012 3:25 PM in response to léonie

Agree 100%. Well said, with an important distinction made:

leonieDF wrote:

Controls are always at fixed places, you can learn their position by heart. So you you only need to find their location, you do not need to be able to identify them by their look.

But that is different for endless lists of library items or Finder items. Here the positions and items change arbitrarily, as you are working with them. You regularly create, move, or delete items. To use them, you need to recognize and identify them. And so custom icoms for individual folders, albums, etc. might help, or at least very different icons for different categories. Hear colors really help - and they can be discreet as well. 🙂

arghhh!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.