Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ISBLANK once again: selecting cells for SUMIF

Hi!

Sorry for going back to this function, but I'm not able to understand available documentation and previous threads.

I'm trying to sum a range of cells based on the value of another column provided each cell in this column is not blank.

I can easily check values in I column, positions 103 to 110 for a given value or, if numerals, being > or < of any number...

=SUMIF(I103:I110,"=R",K103:K110)

=SUMIF(I103:I110,"=d",K103:K110)

=SUMIF(I103:I110,">2",K103:K110)

But, please, how must I enter the condition "values in I are not blank"? I've tried a number of different things getting always 0 or syntax error!

Thanks for your help,

Ricardo

Numbers'09-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.6.8), Numbers'09

Posted on Jun 12, 2012 8:24 AM

10 replies

Jun 12, 2012 9:09 AM in response to Ricardo Rodriguez Fernandez

if the cell is blank if adds to the sum as 0 (zero) so is there really a need to identify it as blank for the sum?

e.g.:

User uploaded file

F2 sums the cells in olumn D only if there is a "1" in the corresponding row of column C. cell D6 is not included because there is not a "1" in the C6. D9 is included but is blank (so it adds 0).

F2=SUMIF(C2:C9, "=1", D2:D9)

Jul 14, 2014 4:41 AM in response to Ricardo Rodriguez Fernandez

Hi Ricardo,

Please post a screen shot to explain why you need ISBLANK

Or maybe this will work:

User uploaded file

Formula in Footer Cell C8

=SUMIF(B,"=TRUE",C)

The sum is 20 because only rows 2 and 3 fulfil the requirement of TRUE in B whilst having a numerical value in C.

I tested this by entering "invisible" characters (space, option enter, option tab) into the blank cells C4 and C5. The sum remained the same.

Even with text:

User uploaded file

I am still puzzled why you need to test for blank cells...

Regards,

Ian.

Oct 19, 2015 5:25 AM in response to Alexey Blinov

Alexey... This worked for me too, with Numbers '09. Thanks! (The forum isn't positioning this as a subthread to your specific post, but this is in reply to your suggestion of using `=SUMIF(I103:I110,"",K103:K110)` as the formula setup.)

feus4177... I just tried your method too, with the "=" ... and that worked also. (Again, with Numbers '09.) Not sure if one of these approaches (with or without the equal sign in the middle) is more robust, as I am using this in a pretty simple spreadsheet, but good to know these are options for setting up this kind of formula.

ISBLANK once again: selecting cells for SUMIF

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.