Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I add a *.domain.com to lion server

I am trying to add an *.mydomain.com record to the DNS server in Lion. Can anyone direct me to the instruction for that? Right now I have to actually use the www. or another subdomain for us to get to my outside site.

Thanks,

Kevin

Xserve, Mac OS X (10.7.2), 4GB RAM, Apple 2 Port 4Gbps Fiber

Posted on Jun 12, 2012 8:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 12, 2012 10:43 AM

You have to manually edit the zone files using a command line editor. Unfortunately, Server Admin will not accept the * character.

The zone files are located in /var/named and you will want to edit the forward and reverse zone. Once you add the record manually, it will appear in Server Admin. However, you will not be able to edit it there.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 12, 2012 10:43 AM in response to RoseValley

You have to manually edit the zone files using a command line editor. Unfortunately, Server Admin will not accept the * character.

The zone files are located in /var/named and you will want to edit the forward and reverse zone. Once you add the record manually, it will appear in Server Admin. However, you will not be able to edit it there.

How do I add a *.domain.com to lion server

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.