Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail stopped working after replacing primary HD

Apple Mail stopped working after replacing and restoring the Main Hard Drive in the upper bay. Internet connection is good, and the Mail client troubleshooting (Comcast) was no help. I can start the App, but it does not retrieve or send mail through Comcast anymore. I have a MacBook Pro with the same settings and Mail works fine.

Power Mac G5, 1.8ghz, Mac OS X (10.4.11)

Posted on Jun 12, 2012 9:37 AM

8 replies

Jun 12, 2012 2:17 PM in response to BDAqua

Thanks for replying.

This is odd because my PowerMac G5 with Leopard Mail cannot receive or send email. Connection doctor is showing all red dots on every email account with Comcast (BTW, GMAIL accounts okay). On my Blackberry, and my MacBook Pro (Lion), the setting are all the same, passwords, etc., and the later two have no issues. I even created a test Administrator Account in "Accounts" in System Preferences on the G5, logged into the Test Account and tried to create a new mail account with the same settings, and yet during the set-up (Welcome to Mail), I get an error message that says Mail cannot log into Comcast's POP server with the current settings. I have also tried changing passwords, no help. Also the usual disk repair, permissions, motherboard resets, zapping PRAM, etc.

Out of ideas...

Thanks for any help...

Jun 13, 2012 2:52 PM in response to X423424X

I installed the new drive ( a Mercury Electra SSD from OWC) in the Upper bay and the original drive in the lower bay. I started up the G5 with the Leopard install disk and used Disk Utility to Format the new drive and copy the old drive to the new drive. I gave the new drive a new name. After completing the start up, I checked the new drive and it started okay, unmounted the old drive, shut down and physically removed it. Then Mail stopped working with Comcast.

Very strange.

Mail stopped working after replacing primary HD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.